• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alternative S-Pen Replacement

lotus49

Android Expert
May 9, 2011
Yorkshire
The fact that the S-Pen is small makes sense when stowed in the Note itself but it is much smaller and thinner than any pen I have ever been comfortable with.

Since it's a Wacom digitiser on the Note, would I be correct in thinking Wacom tablet pens would work with the Note? Would any others work?

I would be interested to know whether anyone has tried an alternative pen and if so, what their experience was.

Can you still press the button?

That does look more comfortable to hold than the standard S-Pen.

I wondered the same thing and took the chance, Yes, The button can be pressed, the old style pen (it comes with a new one so you don't give up the one in your note) only goes in one way, no alignment or any issues at all, the button works fine.

Reactions: lotus49
Upvote 0
Does the Jot Script work on the Note 10.1 2014?

I would only suggest the S Pens dedicated for the Notes. From my experience, there are calibration issues if using anything other than the S Pen. Even with the Bamboo Feel, you need to purchase the proper one (there is the regular Feel with calibration issues and the Feel for Galaxy Note series).

Upvote 0
It looks like I shall be sticking with an S Pen then.

From what I can gather, the S Pen with eraser has the benefit of being larger and having an eraser but it's still very light and feels like a cheap biro rather than a nice fountain pen.

The S Pen holder is more comfortable to hold and feels less flimsy but doesn't have an eraser.

The BT S Pen looks quite promising (and entertaining in a somewhat silly way) but is far more expensive and also doesn't have an eraser.

I've just bought an S Pen with eraser for the grand sum of

Upvote 0
Also, the S Pen with eraser will include a nib removal tool and 5 replacement nibs. Keep these in a safe place and don't lose them as they are not sold separately. Not even Wacom makes replacement nibs for it.

The difference between the nibs is the feel it gives the user. For me the flex nib (black with white rubber core) gives a more natural feel of pen on paper. The white plastic nib is too slippery and doesn't feel right or natural to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones