1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Alternative to G1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chitin, Feb 14, 2011.

1. chitin

chitin New Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I've had a G1 for over 2 years now and want to upgrade. I've rooted the phone with 2.2 and enjoy using the tethering on long car trips. Is there any phone that I can upgrade too that is still on 3G but not phone that T-Mobile recognizes the IMEI? I want to keep my unlimited data plan and 400 text since that's all I need. I've researched that I need a phone that shares the same 3G frequency which excludes AT&T, but if I use a phone T-Mobile recognizes in their database, they'll switch me over to a new plan which costs about double. Any suggestions? TIA

Advertisement

2. crz6662

crz6662 Active Member

Oct 29, 2008
    pgh. pa.
    Don't know if you found your answer but:

Buy an unlocked phone outright from someone else besides T-Mobile. Ebay's a good site to find some nice phones cheap, new & used. I just got a new Motorola Razr V3xxrj Titanium for $55. You can use your sim in an unlocked AT&T phone, just at EDGE speeds though. You won't find a phone that carries all the required frequencies for both T-MO (1700mhz,2100mhz) & AT&T's (850mhz,1900mhz) 3G. So probably buy a T-MO phone if you want to use a T-MO sim card AND have 3G.
    T-MO won't change your plan unless you ask, or buy a phone that requires a different plan, ie: like a blackberry.
    I've been on my G1 Unlimited Data/400 Messages since 2008, on 6 different phones.
    I always try to buy unlocked or unlock it myself, be a lot easier to sell if you decide to.
    Good Luck.

Tags: