• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alternatives for Samsung Calendar

anwul62

Jun 22, 2015
Up front: I know... I know there are trillion sites with the best calendar apps... and so on.
Right now, on my Samsung Galaxy S10 I use the Samsung Calendar app. and Outlook on exchange basis.
Regretfully it stops synchronising, even though all settings are perfectly okay and manual sync does not work.

I am seeking another app, that does :
a. sync with Outlook
b. easy search for events a llllong time ago (events of 50 years ago, even 60)

In the Samsung Calendar app - to search for old events - I often need to tap on bar that says
"Show events before ... date", I need to tap 40-50-60 times.

Now.. the following is important...

when I launch Edge or Chrome on smartphone and :
- long in on Google search
- go to the nine-dots at the top of the Google Search page
- select Calendar there
- then tap on 'Desktop' at the bottom (view Mobile|Desktop)
- set to 'list view'

of course everything is displayed in a tiny font, almost unreadable
- increase size a bit and flip the smartphone 90 degr, so the text is more 'readable'
- tap on the 'search/magnifier' button left of the date
- enter a keyword of whatever old calendar entry
and it will show up in a split second.

That is really great!

Except then that AFAIK this is not possible within neither the Google Calendar app normal view (no search button)and certainly not with the Samsung Calendar app.

Big question: are there any Android apps around that can do this?

Thanks!

Of the calendar apps I have installed the best for search of past events seems to be aCalendar: for recurring events (where you have a list of search results) it's quickest to scroll through, and for one-off old events the search will show the results for all years without you having to scroll through all the months the event didn't happen to find whether there was one when it did.

Sync with outlook? It's not usually the calendar app itself that does that, but if you have an app that syncs the outlook calendar and makes it available to the phone's calendar system then any calendar app should be able to show it. I'm making this qualification because a long time ago there used to be an Outlook app that did this (it synced the calendar and any app could view it), then MS replaced it with an Outlook app that kept the calendar in it's own database so that no other app could access it. Now that was a long time ago so MS may have grown up since - I deleted that app, found a third party app that would connect to the account and haven't looked at Microsoft's app since. Just saying all of this because of you do find a calendar app that can't display outlook events the problem may not be with the calendar app - though if the Samsung app can display them on your phone you are probably OK with any calendar app.

(For the record, aCalendar can see my Outlook calendar fine).

Font sizes are going to be the regular size for a calendar app. Most will have a font size option in their setting somewhere, so you shouldn't have the problem with viewing a desktop calender in a browser.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
why not just get microsoft 360? you can then use outlook and it should sync pretty easily.

and are you using outlook for personal use? or is outlook hooked up to your work?

I am using Office 365 (subscription).
Started with Office 97 at the time, I believe in 1999 and (believe it, or not...) generally I am quite satisfied with the Microsoft products.
It is not just the product, but also the support. For example, when posting a question on the Google product forum, I usually delete the question after a few days: no response. That is not the case with Microsoft products.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones