• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alternatives to Xoom!!

Which?

• Asus Eee Pad Slider

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Motorola Xoom

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So Phandroid puts up a rumor that LG may be making a Nexus tablet. If this rumor is true, why did I buy the Xoom? I assumed that the Xoom was the "nexus" of Honeycomb. The only reason why I even bought the Xoom was because of this assumption.

If this rumor is true, I believe there will be a lot of upset Xoom owners. What do you guys think?

The source has a good track record.

Google working on iPad 2-rivalling “Nexus Tablet” | Mobile Phone News | DialToSave

Upvote 0
Hm. Well, we'll have to see what they come up with and a time frame. The one big thing for me right now is the screen/bezel size, so I'm keeping an eye on what's out there. I am very glad I have the Xoom right now, I'm more concerned with getting everything working for Honeycomb than anything else, so we'll see.

Upvote 0
So Phandroid puts up a rumor that LG may be making a Nexus tablet. If this rumor is true, why did I buy the Xoom? I assumed that the Xoom was the "nexus" of Honeycomb. The only reason why I even bought the Xoom was because of this assumption.

If this rumor is true, I believe there will be a lot of upset Xoom owners. What do you guys think?

Why would you have thought the Xoom was a Nexus line? It doesn't have "Nexus" anywhere in it's name, as all of the Google Experience devices have:

* Nexus One
* Nexus S

Unless the Xoom was called "Nexus Xoom"; then it would be fool-hardy to expect it to be the Google Experience device for tablets.

Upvote 0
Why would you have thought the Xoom was a Nexus line? It doesn't have "Nexus" anywhere in it's name, as all of the Google Experience devices have:

* Nexus One
* Nexus S

Unless the Xoom was called "Nexus Xoom"; then it would be fool-hardy to expect it to be the Google Experience device for tablets.

At the CES keynote, several Google and Motorola executives said it was a "full Google Experience device" One exec even added an adjective;saying it was a full "un-adulterated" Google experience device.

Upvote 0
At the CES keynote, several Google and Motorola executives said it was a "full Google Experience device" One exec even added an adjective;saying it was a full "un-adulterated" Google experience device.

It very well could be, but a full Google Experience is not the only thing that makes a device a "Nexus" device.

Nexus devices are also considered to be Dev phones. Which means the boot loader is unlocked.

Basically, it didn't have the Nexus brand, yet people thought it was a Nexus device is my point... Not sure how one could think otherwise, as far as if it's a Nexus device or not.

Upvote 0
So, 12 new ones in one day?

Tablet sized fart apps, or real, useful apps that take advantage of the new Honeycomb menu subsystems and whatnot?

Bear in mind, just because it isn't specifically a "tablet app", it doesn't mean it wont work on a tablet...

I have a tablet, and pretty much all of the non-tablet apps work just fine, with zero issues. A couple of them don't like the screen size, but that's all.

Upvote 0
One can certainly hope. But I'm hesitant to believe it'll be within the next 10 days. Nuts!!!

Honestly, if the bezel wasn't so huge and the weight a .5lbs greater, I'd be interested in swapping. Gotta love the dual USB ports and memory card reader. But, I just bought a Male-MicroUSB to Female-USB cord in anticipation of the Xoom MicroUSB being enabled. Just have to pick of an extra memory card reader dongle and I'll be set.

Upvote 0
I was curious what people are thinking of the Transformer.

One major difference is size:

Transformer: Physical spec Dimensions 10.67" x 6.89" x 0.47" Weight 1.49 lbs.

Xoom: Physical spec Dimensions 9.81" x 6.61" x 0.51" Weight 1.61 lbs.

Obviously an IPS screen is impressive!

I think your weight is incorrect. When I looked yesterday, I saw that it was heavier (from BB page - now down). I googled and found one source that has it at 1.98lbs. 1.3mp front-facing camera, larger bezel, and the Asus name makes me a bit hesitant. I'm definitely curious, but will have to have it in my hands before I rethink my Xoom.

Upvote 0
I think your weight is incorrect. When I looked yesterday, I saw that it was heavier (from BB page - now down). I googled and found one source that has it at 1.98lbs. 1.3mp front-facing camera, larger bezel, and the Asus name makes me a bit hesitant. I'm definitely curious, but will have to have it in my hands before I rethink my Xoom.

These came form Newegg. The bezel is my main concern on these new units. A large bezel can really create a large tablet. An 8.9" can be as big as the Xoom, if so what's the purpose?

Upvote 0
Remember: The Asus doesn't have any traditional USB slot on the tablet itself. It only has an HDMI port and SD slot. Instead, I think the Asus will probably use its proprietary docking/charging port to connect to a PC.

This means it'll need a proprietary USB cable to fit the 40-pin connector. Who knows what that means for its ADB/unlocking capabilities.

Upvote 0
Remember: The Asus doesn't have any traditional USB slot on the tablet itself. It only has an HDMI port and SD slot. Instead, I think the Asus will probably use its proprietary docking/charging port to connect to a PC.

This means it'll need a proprietary USB cable to fit the 40-pin connector. Who knows what that means for its ADB/unlocking capabilities.

Yuck, that's terrible. I didn't realize that. That pretty much means that the only port advantage it has is a standard SD, rather than a MicroSD. And that's really not that much of an advantage, in my eyes. Between that and the Bezel, my mind is pretty much made up.

Edit: YIKES!!! I need to read closer before I post. The standard SD slot is also on the keyboard, just like the two USB ports. It just has a MicroSD slot on the tablet.

Upvote 0
Not to start a debate or anything, but keep in mind about the bezel on the Transformer is that it has to match up with the keyboard or else it'll just look awkward when used together (the tablet wouldn't cover the keyboard fully like a laptop or the keyboard would have to be smaller).

True. But netbook makers have been getting with smaller keyboards for a while. My thinking is this: if you have room for 1+ inches of bezel, you habe room for a bigger screen.

Upvote 0
This is for the above convo about the weight.

Xoom: 1.6 lb (730 g)
Transformer: 1.49lb (676 g)

Also both are 12.9 mm thick fyi.

Edit: Then again I'm not sure about the thickness. The Transformer may be 11.9 mm. That's what the amazon uk page is telling me, and I remembering reading that before and thinking that it was thinner than the Xoom/iPad 1.

True. But netbook makers have been getting with smaller keyboards for a while. My thinking is this: if you have room for 1+ inches of bezel, you habe room for a bigger screen.

About the keyboard, it looks to be the perfect size, at least for me. I would hate to see it any smaller. About the '1+ inches', true. As always, to each their own. :D

Upvote 0
I am going to keep my Xoom. Reason being:

1. Most Important. It's a Pure Google Device/Experience. I love having Pure Android (Vanilla) with NO Skins. Adding that extra layer of skin means I have to wait for (Acre, Asus, Samsung) to provide me updates, whereas Google will push updates and I'm all good. This Device is on par with the Nexus Line of Phones and they ALWAYS get the latest updates before any other phone (GingerBread 2.3 for example) because they are Pure Google Devices and don't have to wait for some manufacturer to work it into their Skin. The Xoom will get the same treatment.

2. The issue over the MicroSD. I believe (from what I have read) is the Asus & Acer have a sloppy MicroSD fix that Google them selves do not recommend. I will just wait for Google to fix it correctly. Who knows if the Acer/Asus units will be upgradeable when the True fix comes thru. I have 14GB left and can wait for the SDCard to be fixed. No big deal.

3. Yes, we paid an extra $100 over the 32gb Asus Transformer BUT you know what, my Xoom is WELL built and craftsmanship goes along way. I have no idea how the Asus is built and what type of components are being used. I believe Moto went with top notch components and in the end You ALWAYS gets what you pay for. I believe the Xoom will last a very long time.

4. Yes the Asus comes with an IPS screen, but guess what, the Xoom screen looks GREAT to me. All my Blu-Ray's look and play Amazing. Plus from what I have read at XDA, guys are having issues using the Xoom HQ1 Profiles from DVDCatalysts to work on their Transformers correctly. I believe DVDCatalysts will get this sorted out BUT as of right now I can re-encode Blu-Ray's and the play just great. Playing Movies on my Tablet is a BIG Plus for me.

5. I already have 2 cases/accessories for my XOOM and don't want to start over again. I am also waiting on the OtterBox Defender Series.

In conclusion, the Xoom is the Perfect tablet for me and if you play the "there is always something better around the corner game" you will Never get anything. I am perfectly happy with my Xoom (use it everyday, especially laying in bed at night while watching TV) and believe I have found the perfect tablet for me:D In the end tablets are just media consumption devices and NOT laptop replacements and as such the Xoom does Media Consumption just Great. If I want to do more, I will just bust out my Laptop or jump on my Desktop. Lately I have not touched my laptop.

There's any old saying "A bird in the hand, is worth 2 in the bush";)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones