• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Always get "Complete action using" when clicking on stock browser links

Hi everybody!

I am a newcomer to Android having recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S I9000M (my first smartphone ever), marketed in Canada under the name Vibrant. It is running Android 2.1 and I have not yet rooted, unlocked or otherwise modified the phone.

I have downloaded and installed three browsers in addition to the stock Internet browser: Dolphin, Opera Mini and Opera Mobile.

After installing Opera Mobile I started having the following annoying problem:

When I was in the stock browser, every time I clicked a link the "Complete action using" window would pop up prompting me to select which browser I want to use. The choices were: Dolphin, Internet and Opera Mini (curiously, no Opera Mobile). I would check the "Use by default for this action" box and proceed to click "Internet" (the stock browser), which should have made the stock browser my default one. However, next time I clicked a link it would happen all over again.

This happened only in the stock browser, never in Dolphin or one of the Operas.

It's like my Android kept forgetting my choice of default browser although in the settings for the stock browser it said it was default.

I also noticed that after the installation of Opera Mobile the delay between clicking a link in any browser and the browser's reaction became noticeably longer (up to a second).

I suspected that Opera Mobile messed things up and uninstalled it, which indeed fixed this problem.

So my question is, has anyone else experienced this problem with Opera Mobile?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones