• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am I dumb? Or is Android dumb?

sdot_sd

Apr 23, 2010
So, after a week, I am extremely happy with this phone. The battery life made me want to stab myself in the testicles for the first 2 days, but is very respectable now. My only gripe is the notification panel. Let's say I get a text. I hear the tone. I click on my messaging icon, and go straight into the messaging app and respond. Why does this not automatically clear the notification panel of that message alert? I don't want to turn notifications off, I just want it to recognize the fact that I have already handled my business, and that I don't need it to notify me anymore of that particular message. A week ago, I was still using my Storm 2, so I feel AWFUL writing this. It's like going from a fat, ugly, unfaithful, extremely-buggy girlfriend to a super model with an oral fixation and a thing for guys who require 5+ hours of forum reading to decide whether or not to use a task killer(I decided to trust the OS, BTW), and here I am quietly fuming because her laugh bothers me sometimes. All I am saying, Incredible, is that if this issue can be fixed, I'll put a ring on that shit.

Reactions: bowl443
First I would just like to say, no respectable Android user should be using the stock SMS. Handcent should be installed on everyones phone that does texting. That being said... Install handcent and see if you still have the same issues. I'm not a fan of the default Handcent settings but once you tweak them, it's Amazing. Then with Handcent taking over your SMS/MMS duties.. go into the stock SMS/MMS settings and UNCHECK the "Received notification". You will get still get notified, but through Handcent, and their notifications are customizable, different icons and colors for different people. The Quick Reply alone is worth it's weight in gold.

Reactions: sdot_sd
Upvote 0
he said "If you use Handcent and have the stock messaging system set to 'notify', you are getting two notifications. And if they are not both read, then you are not going to be deleting that icon (notification) for both. It's you homie regardless. (i dont get the last thing he said but im sure he means "its your call homie")

but i use stock. its great to use the cool widget :)
my battery last from 6am to 9pm (could be more but...im in I.T) :)

Reactions: tluv00
Upvote 0
he said "If you use Handcent and have the stock messaging system set to 'notify', you are getting two notifications. And if they are not both read, then you are not going to be deleting that icon (notification) for both. It's you homie regardless. (i dont get the last thing he said but im sure he means "its your call homie")

but i use stock. its great to use the cool widget :)
my battery last from 6am to 9pm (could be more but...im in I.T) :)

The OP asked "Am I dumb or my phone" I was saying he is "dumb".......not really calling him dumb but saying it was him not the phone per say. Everything else is spot on. Trying to multitask between work, conference call and this. Thanks.

Upvote 0
If you use Handcent and have the stock messaging system still set to notify you are getting two notifications an if they are not both read they you are not going to be deleting that icon for both. It's you homie regardless.

Well, spot on except for the fact that I only use the stock messaging app..even hitting the back button after reading/responding still requires me to pull down the notification shade and either clear or click on the actual notification to mark it as read. Now, others have said that this is not the case for their phones. Is this a setting I can tweak without downloading a new messaging app?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones