1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Amateur interested in Android apps

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by T Droid, Jul 1, 2013.

1. T Droid

T Droid Lurker

Hey

I'm interested in developing apps for Android and would like some advice on how to proceed. I'm an amateur web developer who knows PHP, JavaScript, CSS and HTML, with some basics in SQL as well. Years ago I learnt C/C++ quite thoroughly but found I could never put these languages to much use as a solo coder. I also learnt a little DirectX (with C++) but have forgotten almost all of it.

I know you can develop apps with HTML5/JS (not interested in jQuery) and I guess you could say I'm looking for a nudge in the right direction. How do I begin? How do I get my code to run on the Android, as an app?

Also, are there any decent tutorial resources for coding on touch devices? And are there any 'droid simulators we can use for testing?

Lots of questions I know.

Cheers!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Hello there T Droid!
    Welcome to AF! I am totally clueless about that, but you could try asking that here:
    Application Development - Android Forums

Or, I could move your thread there so you don't have to type it all out again..whatever you want, I will try to help:)

T Droid likes this.
  3. T Droid

T Droid Lurker

Please move it :) sorry about that. :D

4. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

No worries at all, no need to be sorry :)
    I moved your thread and sent you a p.m. too.

Hope this helps :D

5. emile_b

emile_b Newbie

It really depends what kind of apps you want to develop?

The tools come with an Android simulator - but really you need real Android hardware to work properly. I don't use the simulator at all now.

6. T Droid

T Droid Lurker

Well to start off with I'd like to try something simple like creating an app for my website instead of simply having a responsive "mobile" mode (CSS responsive design). I'm not interested in game apps right now but could be something I move onto at a later date since I'm already familiar with graphics coding in DX.

I'm of the impression Android apps are written in some form of Java, so assuming this is the language of choice.

Is it possible to write native apps in C++ for the Android? I've never liked Java :p

7. emile_b

emile_b Newbie

Well there are mutliplatform frameworks for quite simple apps which use htlm/css etc - I have heard good things about PhoneGap for example (not used myself)

But if you want to do more complex apps you need to work natively...
    You need to use Java :) You can use C++ but really I wouldn't unless you already have a load of C code, or you need very high performance.

Most of the Android tools are built to use Java, debugging is much much easier, almost all examples on the web will be in Java.
    I highly recommend using Java at least at first for the first few apps!

I hadn't used Java at all really before Android, and I quite like it now.

8. out of ideas

out of ideas Android Enthusiast

Yeah you might be into phonegap, its html css and javascript. seems right up your alley.