• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Amateur interested in Android apps

Hey

I'm interested in developing apps for Android and would like some advice on how to proceed. I'm an amateur web developer who knows PHP, JavaScript, CSS and HTML, with some basics in SQL as well. Years ago I learnt C/C++ quite thoroughly but found I could never put these languages to much use as a solo coder. I also learnt a little DirectX (with C++) but have forgotten almost all of it.

I know you can develop apps with HTML5/JS (not interested in jQuery) and I guess you could say I'm looking for a nudge in the right direction. How do I begin? How do I get my code to run on the Android, as an app?

Also, are there any decent tutorial resources for coding on touch devices? And are there any 'droid simulators we can use for testing?

Lots of questions I know.

Cheers!

Well to start off with I'd like to try something simple like creating an app for my website instead of simply having a responsive "mobile" mode (CSS responsive design). I'm not interested in game apps right now but could be something I move onto at a later date since I'm already familiar with graphics coding in DX.

I'm of the impression Android apps are written in some form of Java, so assuming this is the language of choice.

Is it possible to write native apps in C++ for the Android? I've never liked Java :p

Upvote 0
Well there are mutliplatform frameworks for quite simple apps which use htlm/css etc - I have heard good things about PhoneGap for example (not used myself)

But if you want to do more complex apps you need to work natively...
You need to use Java :) You can use C++ but really I wouldn't unless you already have a load of C code, or you need very high performance.

Most of the Android tools are built to use Java, debugging is much much easier, almost all examples on the web will be in Java.
I highly recommend using Java at least at first for the first few apps!

I hadn't used Java at all really before Android, and I quite like it now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones