• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Amon_RA 1.6.2 Custom Recovery: trackball not required!

wolfdog54,

Can you tell us a few more details? (i.e., the scenario you followed, the state of your phone before, how you are booting into recovery, did you verify the MD5 checksums, etc.).

Let us know.

Cheers!

Sure sure.

I followed the scenario Three (For rooted users using a custom ROM)

Im booting into recovery by Powering on my phone while holding Volume Down, then pressing volume up to get into Recovery.
I did not verify the MD5 Checksum, though I obviously should have.

Im running a 2.1 Sense ROM (not exactly sure which one, it's a bit old)

After I try to get into recovery, it gets stuck here VV

eris05.jpg

Upvote 0
Sure sure.

I followed the scenario Three (For rooted users using a custom ROM)

Im booting into recovery by Powering on my phone while holding Volume Down, then pressing volume up to get into Recovery.
I did not verify the MD5 Checksum, though I obviously should have.

Im running a 2.1 Sense ROM (not exactly sure which one, it's a bit old)

After I try to get into recovery, it gets stuck here VV

Sorry for the delay...didn't immediately realize the thread switched over to a new page...:eek: (kept hitting refresh and didn't see your post).

When you ran the gscript-sa script in Gscript, did you get the "Congrats! You should now have the new, trackball-optional custom recovery installed..." message?

It kind of seems like you had a bad flash of the recovery (leaving you in the skating Androids...), although I wouldn't think that whatever file manager you used (Astro?) would allow you to extract a bad .zip file...?

You could try re-running the whole-shebang again to see if it will flash correctly.

You can still boot your phone normally, right?

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay...didn't immediately realize the thread switched over to a new page...:eek: (kept hitting refresh and didn't see your post).

When you ran the gscript-sa script in Gscript, did you get the "Congrats! You should now have the new, trackball-optional custom recovery installed..." message?

It kind of seems like you had a bad flash of the recovery (leaving you in the skating Androids...), although I wouldn't think that whatever file manager you used (Astro?) would allow you to extract a bad .zip file...?

You could try re-running the whole-shebang again to see if it will flash correctly.

You can still boot your phone normally, right?

Yessir, I can indeed boot my phone normally.

I used Astro (and it extracted)

And yes, the Gscript did display the whole "Congrats! You should now have the new, trackball-optional custom recovery installed..."

Im going to try to re do the Gscript, will let you know how it goes. Thanks

Upvote 0
Yessir, I can indeed boot my phone normally.

I used Astro (and it extracted)

And yes, the Gscript did display the whole "Congrats! You should now have the new, trackball-optional custom recovery installed..."

Im going to try to re do the Gscript, will let you know how it goes. Thanks

No problem...there's a couple of other ways to flash the recovery if this doesn't work (this is just a solution for the masses, but since its scripted, there's not a lot of debugging available).

By the way, there is a log file that gets written to /sdcard/gscript/tools/logfile.txt that records the stuff that the script is doing. You might take a peek at that and/or post here if we still need to debug...

Let me know.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
No problem...there's a couple of other ways to flash the recovery if this doesn't work (this is just a solution for the masses, but since its scripted, there's not a lot of debugging available).

By the way, there is a log file that gets written to /sdcard/gscript/tools/logfile.txt that records the stuff that the script is doing. You might take a peek at that and/or post here if we still need to debug...

Let me know.

Cheers!

Re-Gscripted it, still did not work.

Also, this is the ROM Im currently running, though its an older version.
[ROM][GPL][3/15/2011] xtrSENSE5.0.1 [cache2cache,apps2sd,oc,jit]-HTC Sense - xda-developers

Used this to root it :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=742228

Logfile from the Gscripts folder -

================================================================
-=[ gscript-sa.sh - invoked Fri Jul 22 18:53:57 EDT 2011 ]=-

Info: _SD_DIR = /sdcard/gscript/tools
Info: _PHONE_MODEL = desirec
Info: _RCVRY_IMAGE = recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2-trackball-optional.img
Info: _LOGFILE = /sdcard/gscript/tools/logfile.txt
Info: _RO_BLD_PROD = desirec
Info: we'll use /sqlite_stmt_journals for housing flash_image
Info: flash_image installed and secured:

-rwxr-xr-x root root 9640 2011-07-22 18:53 flash_image

Info: alternate recovery image successfully flashed
-=[ gscript-sa.sh - terminating Fri Jul 22 18:53:59 EDT 2011 ]=-

-=[ gscript-sa.sh - invoked Fri Jul 22 20:44:09 EDT 2011 ]=-

Info: _SD_DIR = /sdcard/gscript/tools
Info: _PHONE_MODEL = desirec
Info: _RCVRY_IMAGE = recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2-trackball-optional.img
Info: _LOGFILE = /sdcard/gscript/tools/logfile.txt
Info: _RO_BLD_PROD = desirec
Info: we'll use /sqlite_stmt_journals for housing flash_image
Info: flash_image installed and secured:

-rwxr-xr-x root root 9640 2011-07-22 20:44 flash_image

Info: alternate recovery image successfully flashed
-=[ gscript-sa.sh - terminating Fri Jul 22 20:44:09 EDT 2011 ]=-

Upvote 0
wolfdog54,

Just for grins, can you download and install the Quickboot app (its free in the Market)?

Its got an option for rebooting into recovery that will take the whole key-press sequence out of the equation.

It should be something quick and easy to try.

By the way, what version information does your HBOOT say? (are you a 1.46.xxxx (S-ON), 1.47.xxxx (S-ON), 1.49.0000 (S-ON), or 1.49.2000 (S-OFF)?)

If you have the 1.49.2000 S-OFF bootloader, you've got some extra options available to you...

Reactions: wolfdog54
Upvote 0
wolfdog54,

Just for grins, can you download and install the Quickboot app (its free in the Market)?

Its got an option for rebooting into recovery that will take the whole key-press sequence out of the equation.

It should be something quick and easy to try.

By the way, what version information does your HBOOT say? (are you a 1.46.xxxx (S-ON), 1.47.xxxx (S-ON), 1.49.0000 (S-ON), or 1.49.2000 (S-OFF)?)

If you have the 1.49.2000 S-OFF bootloader, you've got some extra options available to you...

Ok second, I will edit this post with the above.

Ok, The quick boot does the same thing, just gets stuck at the loading screen.

1.49.0000 (S-ON) is my Hboot

Upvote 0
Ok supplied all the info in the above post.

Well, the good news is that you are and have been doing everything right, as far as I can tell.

The weird news is that I don't really know what is going on here... You're flash of the custom recovery looks perfect (i.e., from the log files that you supplied above).

Like I said before, it looks like the custom recovery you flashed is not whole or is a little wonky. Can you use verify the MD5 of the recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2-trackball-optional.img file (it'll be in the /sdcard/gscripts/tools directory). You can use my AFV app (of course ;)) or Astro File Manager (long-press the filename, select Details, and wait for the MD5 checksum to be displayed).

The proper size and MD5 checksum for this file should be:

File size: 3,926,016 bytes
MD5 checksum: 3217768b831a3841180699942204762d

At least we can rule-out whether or not you've flashed a bad file (which is easy to rectify if you did, but hard to explain how it got bad).

Since you have the S-ON bootloader (looks like your phone has at one time installed one of the original 2.1 "leaks" and subsequently been rooted with the "wag3slav3" rooting method (probably via jcase's 1-click app and thread or eu1's Universal Root for Dummies! thread), we're a little limited on what else we can do to fix your custom recovery.

I do have a couple of other ideas, but let's check-out your MD5 value first.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Well, the good news is that you are and have been doing everything right, as far as I can tell.

The weird news is that I don't really know what is going on here... You're flash of the custom recovery looks perfect (i.e., from the log files that you supplied above).

Like I said before, it looks like the custom recovery you flashed is not whole or is a little wonky. Can you use verify the MD5 of the recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2-trackball-optional.img file (it'll be in the /sdcard/gscripts/tools directory). You can use my AFV app (of course ;)) or Astro File Manager (long-press the filename, select Details, and wait for the MD5 checksum to be displayed).

The proper size and MD5 checksum for this file should be:

File size: 3,926,016 bytes
MD5 checksum: 3217768b831a3841180699942204762d

At least we can rule-out whether or not you've flashed a bad file (which is easy to rectify if you did, but hard to explain how it got bad).

Since you have the S-ON bootloader (looks like your phone has at one time installed one of the original 2.1 "leaks" and subsequently been rooted with the "wag3slav3" rooting method (probably via jcase's 1-click app and thread or eu1's Universal Root for Dummies! thread), we're a little limited on what else we can do to fix your custom recovery.

I do have a couple of other ideas, but let's check-out your MD5 value first.

Cheers!

Sure! Ill check now

Also, I mispoke earlier, Im using the latest version of the custom recovery, not the .2 version.

Upvote 0
Ok the MD5 Checksum is a complete match, as well as the file size.

Well that's reassuring to know (in one sense, LOL)...

The only other idea I had was to use jcase's 1-click app to re-install the original custom recovery on your phone (or erisuser1's Universal Root for Dummies! thread). That might shed a little light on things...(although each of those methods does pretty-much exactly what you've already tried via my thread--I basically copied and tweaked eu1's Gscript app).

Can you tell me how the phone was rooted in the first place? (did you use the 1-click app?).

Upvote 0

Excellent, so you already know how to run it ;).

I think it should run just fine on xtrSense 5.0.1 (that's a fine ROM, by the way, nothing wrong with it, but there are newer ones out there, which is probably why you are trying to get your custom recovery working, eh?).

Let's try just re-running the app like this:

1. download and install the 1-click .apk

2. run the app like you did before

3. shutdown (power-off) your phone (although you should also be able to use the Quickboot app to simply reboot)

4. when the phone reboots, the app will actually flash the old version of Amon_RA's custom recovery; the app gets auto-triggered by the first reboot after running it

5. run the Quickboot app to see if you can now successfully boot into recovery

I'm not too hopeful since I don't really see what we've been doing wrong...

I'm a little suspicious that there might be bad blocks in your custom recovery partition :eek:, but let's not get ahead of ourselves (and I'm not the one to guide you regarding attempting to fix that--we'll need our "root Godfather" (erisuser1 / bftb0) for that).

Let me know how the 1-click thing goes...

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Excellent, so you already know how to run it ;).

I think it should run just fine on xtrSense 5.0.1 (that's a fine ROM, by the way, nothing wrong with it, but there are newer ones out there, which is probably why you are trying to get your custom recovery working, eh?).

Let's try just re-running the app like this:

1. download and install the 1-click .apk

2. run the app like you did before

3. shutdown (power-off) your phone (although you should also be able to use the Quickboot app to simply reboot)

4. when the phone reboots, the app will actually flash the old version of Amon_RA's custom recovery; the app gets auto-triggered by the first reboot after running it

5. run the Quickboot app to see if you can now successfully boot into recovery

I'm not too hopeful since I don't really see what we've been doing wrong...

I'm a little suspicious that there might be bad blocks in your custom recovery partition :eek:, but let's not get ahead of ourselves (and I'm not the one to guide you regarding attempting to fix that--we'll need our "root Godfather" (erisuser1 / bftb0) for that).

Let me know how the 1-click thing goes...

Good luck!

Since Im already rooted I dont need to run the Rootme.zip again do I? Im supposed to flash it after I boot into recovery.

Upvote 0
Since Im already rooted I dont need to run the Rootme.zip again do I? Im supposed to flash it after I boot into recovery.

Nope, since you are already rooted, you are good. We just need to get your custom recovery (or any recovery for that matter) re-installed on your phone.

If you see Amon_RA's custom recovery menu show up, then you'll at least have your custom recovery back.

Hey, a thought just occurred to me...you didn't have ClockworkMod previously installed on here did you? (that might explain what is going here...CWM has been know to gunk-up the internal memory, but users usually see worse/weirder things that what you have to this point).

Upvote 0
Nope, since you are already rooted, you are good. We just need to get your custom recovery (or any recovery for that matter) re-installed on your phone.

If you see Amon_RA's custom recovery menu show up, then you'll at least have your custom recovery back.

Hey, a thought just occurred to me...you didn't have ClockworkMod previously installed on here did you? (that might explain what is going here...CWM has been know to gunk-up the internal memory, but users usually see worse/weirder things that what you have to this point).

I dont believe that I did, I hear that with the backup it can brick the Eris sometimes.

Upvote 0
Ok I can now succesfully boot into recovery :) I didnt run the rootme.zip again, as Im already rooted.

LOL...yep, astute of you to notice.

Well, that's good but somewhat bewieldering...you've got me stumped for the moment...

I actually have the program source for jcase's 1-click app (he kindly sent it to me). There is nothing special or different about what his app is doing versus what my Gscript script does outside of the fact that I tweaked and recompiled a different version of Amon_RA's custom recovery source to build the one you've been trying to flash.

I also see that you replied about ClockworkMod recovery...that's good news and you are exactly right about it doing "funny" (bad) things to some phones.

Since you seemingly can "recover" (re-install) your recovery by re-running jcase's 1-click app, you could try running the "1.6.2" version and see if it behaves any differently (if you read my thread, you'll see the stuff about how I arrived at building the two different versions).

If you are proficient and/or gung-ho, you could also try "Scenario 4" and manually flash the custom recovery via the Android SDK using the adb.exe utility to invoke flash_image from the command line.

If you do know how to install and use the Android SDK and the adb utility, you actually can use these tools to wipe and flash ROMs without needing to use touch the phone (i.e., if your trackball isn't working). This is done by connecting to the phone while booted into Amon_RA custom recovery and interacting with the adb server that is up and running while custom recovery is running. From there, you can issue (relatively cryptic) commands to wipe and flash a ROM.

You can't use fastboot since you don't have the S-OFF bootloader (i.e., step E in Scenario 4).

I know that eu1 has previously subscribed to this thread, but I don't know if he's out there watching at the moment, but I really would like to get his take on what might be happening here...

I'm not sure what else to tell you at this point unless you want to pursue the SDK / adb route...

Thanks, and sorry for the long responses....:)

Reactions: wolfdog54
Upvote 0
LOL...yep, astute of you to notice.

Well, that's good but somewhat bewieldering...you've got me stumped for the moment...

I actually have the program source for jcase's 1-click app (he kindly sent it to me). There is nothing special or different about what his app is doing versus what my Gscript script does outside of the fact that I tweaked and recompiled a different version of Amon_RA's custom recovery source to build the one you've been trying to flash.

I also see that you replied about ClockworkMod recovery...that's good news and you are exactly right about it doing "funny" (bad) things to some phones.

Since you seemingly can "recover" (re-install) your recovery by re-running jcase's 1-click app, you could try running the "1.6.2" version and see if it behaves any differently (if you read my thread, you'll see the stuff about how I arrived at building the two different versions).

If you are proficient and/or gung-ho, you could also try "Scenario 4" and manually flash the custom recovery via the Android SDK using the adb.exe utility to invoke flash_image from the command line.

If you do know how to install and use the Android SDK and the adb utility, you actually can use these tools to wipe and flash ROMs without needing to use touch the phone (i.e., if your trackball isn't working). This is done by connecting to the phone while booted into Amon_RA custom recovery and interacting with the adb server that is up and running while custom recovery is running. From there, you can issue (relatively cryptic) commands to wipe and flash a ROM.

You can't use fastboot since you don't have the S-OFF bootloader (i.e., step E in Scenario 4).

I know that eu1 has previously subscribed to this thread, but I don't know if he's out there watching at the moment, but I really would like to get his take on what might be happening here...

I'm not sure what else to tell you at this point unless you want to pursue the SDK / adb route...

Thanks, and sorry for the long responses....:)

Thanks you very much for all the time you too tonight, I appreciate it greatly. Im going to try to run the .2 version, and if that does not work, familiarize myself with the SDK and ADB utilities. I'm a Java programmer, so maybe that will help a bit.

Once again, thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks you very much for all the time you too tonight, I appreciate it greatly. Im going to try to run the .2 version, and if that does not work, familiarize myself with the SDK and ADB utilities. I'm a Java programmer, so maybe that will help a bit.

Once again, thanks!

No problem... You do seem very knowledgeable and proficient, so I'm sure you can conquer the SDK installation thing.

Just post back with how you fare with the 1.6.2 version (I'm curious re. that, of course) and/or if you are interested in the manual flashing via adb route (there's a very good thread I can dig-up for you [I'll hunt for it here in a sec and edit this post]).

Cheers and have a great evening!

edit: wow...took a little digging to find this...here's the thread:

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/163423-flashing-rom-trackball-not-working.html

eu1's main instructions begin in post #12 (http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/163423-flashing-rom-trackball-not-working.html#post1495912).

I annotated an example in post #22 (http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/163423-flashing-rom-trackball-not-working.html#post1511164).

It really wasn't all that hard... Cheers!

Upvote 0
No problem... You do seem very knowledgeable and proficient, so I'm sure you can conquer the SDK installation thing.

Just post back with how you fare with the 1.6.2 version (I'm curious re. that, of course) and/or if you are interested in the manual flashing via adb route (there's a very good thread I can dig-up for you [I'll hunt for it here in a sec and edit this post]).

Cheers and have a great evening!

edit: wow...took a little digging to find this...here's the thread:

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/163423-flashing-rom-trackball-not-working.html

eu1's main instructions begin in post #12 (http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...ng-rom-trackball-not-working.html#post1495912).

I annotated an example in post #22 (http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...ng-rom-trackball-not-working.html#post1511164).

It really wasn't all that hard... Cheers!

Very nice Thanks! I flashed my Cyan7ogen Mod with it.

1.6.2 did not work either, sadly.

Thanks so much for all the help :)

Upvote 0
Very nice Thanks! I flashed my Cyan7ogen Mod with it.

1.6.2 did not work either, sadly.

Thanks so much for all the help :)

You are very quick and proficient--kudos! ;).

I'll touch base with erisuser1 next time I see that he's posting and active. This is, at least to me, a very weird issue...perhaps he'll have a good idea or better pespective (I don't really why I said "perhaps", LOL, since he always has a good idea about how things really work--and is usually right).

Cheers and I'm glad that worked for you.

Upvote 0
You are very quick and proficient--kudos! ;).

I'll touch base with erisuser1 next time I see that he's posting and active. This is, at least to me, a very weird issue...perhaps he'll have a good idea or better pespective (I don't really why I said "perhaps", LOL, since he always has a good idea about how things really work--and is usually right).

Cheers and I'm glad that worked for you.

Excellent, I would love to see what he has to say.

Tomorrow I am going to try running this again on the new mod, as I do hope to get it figured out someday.

Thanks very much for your help, it has been a pleasure :)
See you around, I really like this community and am hoping to get into some Application Development soon

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones