• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Andriod Anti-Malware

Banking trojan hits Android

I know applications ask for permissions before installing but spyware could easily be hidden within genuine applications which require full permissions. How would we know the different between a genuine app and one containing malware?

Are apps like SMobile and Android AntiVirus worth having or are they just here for profit?

Wouldn't the nature of your question provide the answer you're looking for? You correctly state that it is trivial to develop an app that requests permissions that aren't necessary for the app to function. Unless you're a user who is capable of running every app in an emulator, then sniffing the traffic out of the device to see what is actually happening...with every app you intend to purchase, I would say that the professionals at SMobile who do this on a daily basis would likely be the one's to rely on. Just as the likes of Symantec/McAfee are an absolute necessity for any Windows PC, so too will mobile AV be.

BTW, please, Apple Fanboys, don't bother to tell me this is why the iPhone/App Store is better. We've already seen malicious apps get into the App Store and worms taking down jailbroken iPhones. It will continue to happen....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones