1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Andriod apps and permissions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BADRATBOY, Jun 16, 2011.

1. BADRATBOY

BADRATBOY Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Ok, new to andriods due to all the special permissios needed.
    I am curiuos if there's a way to curve or edit all the permissions that apps need as i do not see it necessary for them to have all that "certain" info as the .gov wants (tmi) if you under stand. Is there a way to change the permissions allow and the app still function right?

Advertisement

2. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis
    Welcome to the forum and you might try posting this in the appropriate area pertaining to your phone in specific :D

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums!

Unfortunately, no. Permissions are programmed into each app and when you install them, they are granted those permissions. As far as I know there is no way to revoke them or pick and choose. If you feel an app's permission is unnecessary, you should contact the developer and they will be able to explain their reasoning.

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Welcome to AndroidForums, BADRATBOY!

I've done a little app development myself and I can tell you my perspective. I don't add a permission to any of my apps unless its absolutely necessary for the functionality I'm trying to add/support.

Its not always obvious why a particular permission is needed. For example, one of my apps has the "read SMS" (i.e., SMS text messages) permission, but it only receives a system message (notification) that a text message has arrived, but my app in no way actually reads or interprets the text message that was received (although I suppose it could). Anyway, it was/is necessary for my app to have this permission, even though many folks might question why its necessary.

Unfortunately, you can't change an app's permissions after its been published, since that would break the app.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!