• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't attach file with Files and Media: Media permission

TeeZee

Lurker
Nov 14, 2023
Hello! When an app I use has Files and Media permission set to All Files ("allow management of all files") I can use all my files within this app with no problem. But when another app I use has Files and Media permission set to "Media" ("allow access to media only") I cannot attach any file no matter where I put it (I've tried DCIM, Downloads, etc.). I can still browse all folders of my local memory, but as I select any file, the file exploration mode ends and I'm being brought back to my app (in my case mail app) with no file attached.

Is there a very specific location of this Media folder (or bunch of folders)? I couldn't find such info on the internet.

I need to find location of this Media folder because the app I want to use doesn't have the All Files permission option available.

EDIT: I can't attach files in Proton Mail app, but I can do it in Fair Email app with same permissions set, so it looks like a bug in Proton Mail. Sorry for bothering you - I've got this problem in other apps too, so I thought it's not app related. Looks like many apps have this bug .

Last edited:
I've checked that I've got the latest version of Proton Mail. I've also tried the new beta version (recommended by support team), but the issue persists. BTW I'm on Android 11 (that's max for my Redmi 10).

EDIT: Support team asked me to check the latest beta version. Turned out that this issue will be SOLVED in the upcoming version. I was worried this is something bigger, because I'm having issues with using local files in apps as well as saving files from apps to local storage. Looks like many apps have similar bugs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones