• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

android 11 app icon question

speedspeed

Lurker
Aug 24, 2021
hi
i have problem on whatsapp if i press the icon on the homescreen i get to see some numbers
and i want to disable this
how i can do this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-08-24-21-03-02-006_com.miui.home.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-08-24-21-03-02-006_com.miui.home.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 120
The short answer is "don't long press on the icon, just touch it".

This is the "App shortcuts" feature. If you just touch the icon it will open the app, but if you press and hold it offers shortcuts to whatever actions the app developer thinks people are most likely to want. The feature itself has been around for about 5 years, but more apps are using it now. Google do not provide any way of disabling it. You could try giving feedback to the WhatsApp developers, telling them what you don't like about it, and seeing whether anything happens. That's an extreme long shot, but probably has marginally more chance of getting a response than complaining to Google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones