• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help identifying an app, please.

ferncorre

Lurker
Nov 2, 2023
Hi all,

I've been trying to identify what app this chat icon (outlined in red) is from. It's a screenshot from a Samsung phone in the USA. This is from a screenshot I received so I can't go into the phone and see what the notification is from. It's not the native Samsung or Google messages app. It's definitely not WhatsApp, FB Messenger or Signal. It has a right facing arrow inside of a speech bubble. I've tried googling but only come up with stock images for app developers. Can't find anything similar in the Play Store. Anyone ever seen this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102_170430_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_170430_Gallery.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 477
Not seen this, but as you say it looks like some message app. Quite possible it's just a replacement SMS app: many people, including myself, use a third party SMS app rather than the one that came with the phone. All SMS apps do the same thing, they are just user interfaces for the same system service (even the built-in one is just that and nothing else), and you can swap apps and see the same messages in all of them. So if that is what it is it's basically the same as the Google or Samsung apps, just a different look and feel.

The problem with trying to find anything in the Play Store is that unless you know the app name the search is awful (amazing when you consider what Google started off doing before their main business was advertising, but it's always been poor).

However, I've never seen this one, and unless you are lucky nobody else will have. The problem is that there are literally millions of apps out there, including a lot of message apps, so if it's not a fairly common one it's unusual for anyone to be able to recognise it. If it really matters to you, I'm afraid your best bet is probably to ask the person whose phone it was on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you. They typically use the native Samsung app to text and occasionally WhatsApp and FB messenger. So this is definitely different and I've never seen it before. I figured it was a long shot but I wanted to find some answers on my own before asking and potentially feeling like an idiot if it's something innocuous, haha.
Thanks again for your response.

Upvote 0
If the person has the time to take a screen shot, tell them to pull down from the top of the screen to see what app it is. I did a Google search and found similar message icons, but not an exact match. Like Hadron said it looks like a message app. Odds of someone knowing that icon is a long shot.

aarrow.jpg

Upvote 0
If the person has the time to take a screen shot, tell them to pull down from the top of the screen to see what app it is. I did a Google search and found similar message icons, but not an exact match. Like Hadron said it looks like a message app. Odds of someone knowing that icon is a long shot.

View attachment 169407
Yeah, I tried a Google image search too. It's too late to ask them to pull down because the screenshot is a few days old and at the time I didn't see it because I was helping with an email issue (which is cropped out of this photo) and was focused on that.

I do appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
The other confounding variable to icons in general are icon packs. None of the icons used on my phone are stock to their respective app and I actually change them up further because I can! Some have the same general look but the icon pack creators give them their own spin. Sometimes they do show the default in notifications.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The other confounding variable to icons in general are icon packs. None of the icons used on my phone are stock to their respective app and I actually change them up further because I can! Some have the same general look but the icon pack creators give them their own spin. Sometimes they do show the default in notifications.
Yeah I learned that during my googling! Not to mention, the message notification icons don't always match the icons for other types of notifications from the same app (I experienced this in my Bumble days).
This person is not the most tech savvy, so the likelihood of replacing a stock app icon with another is pretty low, but not zero I guess. There were other screenshots that contained the usual app icon for other well known messaging apps.
But that fact definitely has made this difficult. I'll just have to ask next time I see them.

Thank you for your response!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Freepikhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freepikcompany.freepi

I'm just guessing based on the notification of a text bubble with the arrow inside it.
Freepik came up on a Google search, even though the actual app shows a F...
I did see that on my search, but Freepik seems to be a design creater. Not something he would be downloading. Plus the arrow in that image is thicker than in the screenshot.
Thank you for looking into it!

Upvote 0
Why not just ask him what it is? If he's not doing anything wrong he doesn't have anything to hide. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, that's my plan now. I just wanted to find it on my own first so that if it turned into nothing I wouldn't have to question him about something I consequential and make it weird. I know it seems silly.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones