• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please help identify an app icon

Marbles74

Lurker
Aug 22, 2023
I was having issues with my keyboard all of a sudden I use fancykey keyboard so I long pressed on it pushed the info button and then went to go update it on the Google Play Store. The app would not open and now Google Play Store would not open. I finally got Google Play Store open and typed in fancykey keyboard it showed there were two versions one of which I assumed I already had on my phone which was the one I was having issues with but went ahead and downloaded both of them anyways and now it shows that I have three fancy keyboard apps the one I was having issues with is a completely different icon now and when I long press on it and go to the Google Play Store it shows the original icon but for some reason this weird image is hiding underneath the original photo if that makes any sense here's some photos. It's the third fancykey keyboard with the profile of a cat's face red outline. When I long press on that one from my app drawer it takes me to the Google Play store and then it shows a completely different icon which is like the other two fancy keyboard icons you see it just all of a sudden changed I've never seen that icon before and I've been using fancy keyboard for years so I think somehow this is a malicious app that is hiding under I don't know. In the photos the apps look a little different cuz I changed to the theme. I don't understand why the icon changes when I open it in the Google Play Store it's never done that before and as of yesterday it was the same icon as the two right in front of it the other two fancykey keyboards so did I get a virus somehow? Sorry this was so long I'm just confused and under my phone's settings on standby apps why does it say two separate things all of a sudden for the one I'm having issues with these are the last two photos thank you.

Attachments

• 20230822_063905.jpg
    20230822_063905.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 20230822_064620.jpg
    20230822_064620.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230822_065005.jpg
    20230822_065005.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230822_064950.jpg
    20230822_064950.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 59
Just uninstall the Cheetah one. If it's just a theme it won't do anything without Cheetah keyboard, and you don't want Cheetah keyboard.

For information: Cheetah Mobile are a notorious developer of dodgy apps that mined users' data and engaged in a range of dodgy and deceptive activities, who were finally removed from the Play Store over an advertising fraud scheme (not their first: Google were far too tolerant of them for far too long). So you wouldn't want any of their apps, but certainly not a keyboard. A few themes for their keyboard remained in the store, some of them probably provided by CM themselves under an alias, and it sounds like you've come across one of those that's designed to mimic Fancy Keyboard. As I say, should be harmless without the keyboard itself, but I would remove it anyway.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, a lot of apps remain from infamous Cheetah Mobile, such as 360 Security, QuickPic Gallery, ES File Explorer, and CCleaner, the latter three having been purchased and ruined by them.

The Go Team, known for infamous Go Launcher EX, Go Locker, and Go SMS Pro, still exist as well, and IIRC had their own dark side as well, but not pulled from Play Store.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones