• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

getting photos from the phone

corvairbob

Android Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2013
i have the galaxy a51 and for some reason when i take photos and plug into the pc and click on the phone then internal dcim and camera i get explore to come up but it will not keep the settings i select for showing the photos.

i pick large icons and then descending as i want the last photos to be the first i see. i have tried everything and just can't get that to stay. some on the a51 forum and the win 10 forums are telling me it is the updated OS in android that is doing this. on my last phone the lg aristo i did come up this way in large icons and last photos taken.

this a51 now has 13 for the OS if that makes any difference. but the wifes tcl20xe does the same thing with 11 for that OS.

so if the phone will not allow me to see large icons and last photo taken as the first to show maybe another camera app will but i have no idea when one will work.

also i have the nokia 100 and that one when i take photo's and connect to the pc i get internal then dcim and camera and then it shows icons that are blank. i have to copy then into another folder the get them to show as photos. so i have 2 phones that are about worthless for taking photos and then viewing them without jumping thru hoops to see them.

so by any chance is there a fix for either of these phone. thanks

why not just use google photos? i can take a picture on my phone. wait for it to sync or you can manually have your google account sync. i can then hop on the computer open my web browser and log into google photos and BOOM!!!!! the picture i just took is there. i can then download it to my pc if i want to. it much simpler that connecting the phone to the pc and navigating to the photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
why not just use google photos? i can take a picture on my phone. wait for it to sync or you can manually have you google sync. i can then hop on the computer open my web browser and log into google photos and BOOM!!!!! the picture i just took is there. i can then download it to my pc if i want to. it much simpler that connecting the phone to the pc and navigating to the photos.
And the sweet part is having a backup of your photos as a bonus....

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The camera app isn't relevant to this: you are talking about how your PC displays what it sees over USB, so what app was used to take the pictures is irrelevant.

Unfortunately I don't use Windows, so this isn't one I can help with. But if there is an answer it will be in the PC I'd think.

As for Google Photos, it depends on whether you want full quality and want to pay Google for storage. If the answers are yes and no respectively then usb transfer still has a role.

Upvote 0
thanks i kind of figured it was the android OS because i have some older phones and they still show photos like they did way back when i used them. as soon as i got the android 11 that change, but i was hoping that another phone app may have figured that out.

it used to be i would plug in the phone to the pc then open the phone in the explorer and then click internal dcim and camera and the photos would populate with the large photo icons and in the last photo taken the first to show of be on top so i did nto have to migrate to the bottom of the page to see them.

then i got the a51 phone and the nokia 100 and the wife got her tcl20x and they all have android 11 the a51 now is android 13 but i still get this. i went thru the win10 forums for months and some of those guy seem to have good connections with windows people and told me it is not he windows OS but the phone OS

i do not store my photos on google. yes they are there but google has started to delete some i put them on the pc and in backups. and i tried that google way that some talked about above and it is terrribe to go there and wait for google to fill the pages.

so i figure this is the phone OS because with the nokia i take photos and connect the nokia to the pc and do the same internal dcim camera and then with the nokia it starts out with blanks icons and i have to guess at how many i just took and copy the blank icons and hope i got them all. so what i started to do was copy all of the blank icons and then paste them into another folder and then i could see them as photos. but then i had to again find them at the bottom so that expensive nokia sets on the shelf it is terrible for taking photos with for that reason

i was hoping a new camera app may have figured a wau around that. thanks i will keep muddling around with the a51 and hope the android figure it out with an update.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Google to work something out: they have always been a "cloud first" company and have very little interest in people doing their own backups or transfers to their own devices (there's nothing in that for them, after all), so I doubt this is at all a priority for them - especially if it's the same in Android 13 as in Android 11. The funny thing is that they use Microsoft's MTP protocol for the USB connection, so you'd think it wouldn't be hard for them to make this work with Windows (which I suspect simply illustrates how low a priority it is for them).

You said earlier that "you can't get this to stay", but from what you say here it sounds like you can't get it to show the view you want at all. Is it possible to get Windows Explorer to show them in the "list" format (little icon, filename, filetype, date)? That would at least allow you to work out which ones you just took by looking at the date of the file?

Upvote 0
i think you misunderstood. the tcl20 and a51 will show photos the niokia will not show photos at first i ahve to get them and then copy them to another folder and then i can see them.

i can't get the explore to keep the settings. i have worked with the win10 guys and they all have the same issues.

i can see the photos in explorer whei use the a51 and the tcl20 but not the nokia. so in the nokia that is the OS

the win10 guys had me jumping hoops trying to figure this out. even to thepoint of a complete restore of my OS and nothing helped. they even had me restore the OS and not do any back restoring just to see if i had some settings in the backups that triggered the issues. and when i do backup i do them in just photos docs and downloads not any part of the OS.

so i guess this is not fixable at this time i will live with it. i thinking of going back to my old phone just for pictures but then i have to carry 2 phones. in fact i tried one of the old phones the other day and it still worked like it did when i stopped using them, but they will not work for phones anymore because of the 3g going away the phone company made me switch.

Upvote 0
That is strange: is the Nokia writing the photos to an odd location? If that's the case, and the app doesn't let you change where they are stored, then a different camera app might help after all. However a third party app will be generic, rather than customised for particular camera hardware, so it's possible that some features won't be available.

Upvote 0
i just contacted win10 again and told them what i had on this thread and one of them is looking onto a way to make the file explorer remember the last settings better. this is there reply
from win10 forums
Your old phone probably kept the view settings because it mounted as a USB drive. Modern phones only mount as a media device. Most phones mount using Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) and most cameras mount using Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). For Explorer, they're the same in that they always display in Tiles view by default and view changes are not saved.

he said he may be able to set me up with that change. i think he is from windows and said something about putting that into an update. we will soon see.
thanks

Upvote 0
ok i do not know for sure yet but i went into developer options and i found a new setting. before i had 4 choices and now i have i the default usb configuration 5 choices. transferring files/android auto usb tethering midi transferring images charging phone only. i have transferring images selected before as the others did not work. i did not have the option for transferring files/android auto before.

so i selected that and opened the file explorer and selected the a51 and navigated to the phots and they opened in large icons but reverse rder so i selected descending and they swapped around as normal so then i closed file explorer and re connected it and this time it opened large icons and reverse order. so i will give that a try a few time's and get back and let you know how it goes. i take tons of photos when i do repairs to document what i did for any issues later on. but i have disconnected the phone now 4 times and s far it looks good. i must have got an update to the developer options and that fixed it maybe?

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones