• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Instagram Installation Mystery

MartyDC

Jul 26, 2019
I have two ASUS tablets both running Android 7 with the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 650 CPU.
Google Play Store installed the program on one but on the other responded "This app won't work for your device"
Anyone out there have an explanation? The Instagram help center doesn't cover installation issues. Nothing about
minimum requirements.

it's stupid play store compatibility filter. It's always wrong, tends to allow actually incompatible stuff to work and cause issues, or falsely flags specific devices it hates as not possible to work. I haven't depended on an app store since Android Market EOL'd, and i second trying to use the APK file from a site such as apkmirror or apkpure. It's been my go-to for years, and best yet, no surprise forced updates.

You can also choose which version you like. If I actually wanted Instagram, I'd use the last version that sported the old icon as I hate flat ui design anyway, and I hear the old app still works.

If you feel you need an appstore, try an alternative such as Aptoide. That's about as close to Android Market as you're gonna get today. There is also SlideMe if you're into the era of Android 2.x which was back when it was truly open and free of Google, or F-droid for only open-source apps.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones