• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

lostwood

Jan 28, 2010
So I was just reading about Android 2.2 (Froyo) and was wondering why the upgrade was not going to any HTC phones. Is it because of HTC using swype? Do they have to release their own version of the upgrade? If so how long does this normally take?

I just got back from Iraq and am really thinking about going and getting the incredible next week but I am wondering if this is a downfall.

Here is the link of an article I read if you are interested..

First Look: Android 2.2 (Froyo) with Flash Player 10.1 - PCWorld

So I was just reading about Android 2.2 (Froyo) and was wondering why the upgrade was not going to any HTC phones. Is it because of HTC using swype? Do they have to release their own version of the upgrade? If so how long does this normally take?

I just got back from Iraq and am really thinking about going and getting the incredible next week but I am wondering if this is a downfall.

Here is the link of an article I read if you are interested..

First Look: Android 2.2 (Froyo) with Flash Player 10.1 - PCWorld

Wow where to begin. I'm only doing this because you are in the military. Otherwise i'd laugh and move on.

In a nutshell 2.2 isn't out for any phone yet. When it does get pushed we will get it after HTC does their magic and gets SenseUI integrated into it and for the most part bug-free.

Swype has nothing to do with the update. Swype is a 3rd party application that runs as any other application on your phone.

The article you posted is a first look. Its not been finalized yet and these are only beta features as far as i know.

There are no downfalls with the incredible. It is an amazing phone with lots of capabilities. Its the best phone on the market today and will be for months to come. It will do everything you want it to and then some, with quickness. Don't even think twice about it, just get one as soon as you can. You won't be dissappointed. Not to mention the fact that the phone has some stuff locked up that will make it even better when the next OTA update does come out (ie: more memory, wireless n, etc).

Upvote 0
it takes longer for HTC phones because of the sense UI skin, generally 2 months after (if we're lucky).

Not nessissarily true. We have no timeline for how long it takes. This update is new uncharted territory and its hard to compare it to previous updates to HTC phones. The first ota update came within 2 days of the phone being released, of course it only addressed one small issue folks were having but still it was quick.

Upvote 0
HTC's response about the froyo release:

[...] if your phone was launched this year, we will most likely offer an upgrade for it to the Froyo version. This includes popular models like the Desire and Droid Incredible as well as hotly anticipated phones like the Evo 4G, MyTouch slide and upcoming models. We will announce a full list of phones and dates once we are closer to launching the upgrades. We are working closely with Google and our other partners to ensure we have the earliest access to everything we need to provide a complete and solid Sense experience on Froyo. We expect to release all updates in the second half of this year but can't be more specific yet.

HTC Says Your 2010 Android Phone Will "Most Likely" Get Froyo

Upvote 0
Froyo is already coming out on Nexus One. However, HTC phones tend to use HTC's proprietary Sense UI, though, which is laid on top of the Android OS. Google has no control over the Sense UI and so it's HTC's responsibility to make any given version of Android work with their own software. So we won't see Android 2.2 on HTC phones until HTC gets their Sense UI to work with it accordingly. HTC's Hero/Eris had about a 6 month delay in getting 2.1. Hopefully it won't be that bad for Froyo, but always expect a delay compared to 'pure' Android phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones