• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.3.5 Upgrade and bluetooth headset functionality.

BABAB

Lurker
Mar 20, 2013
Hi andoirdforums,

This is my first post to your fine forums. I appreciate the opportunity to be here. I have a "problem" and I'm curious to see if other HTC Desire 4G owners are experiencing the same issue . . . as follows:

Last week AT&T rolled out the Android v2.3.5 upgrade to my phone via text message link. The upgrade went fine and I like the new look and the fact that text messages now show the name again (and not just the phone number).

Only big problem for me after the upgrade is with my Bluetooth headset functionality (ie. hands-free). Before the upgrade from v2.3.2, when I wanted to make a call using a Jabra 250v Bluetooth headset, I pressed the button on the headset, I then heard an audible prompt to speak (it might have been just a beep, or "speak now"), then I would speak, then I heard another prompt to confirm that the choice returned was correct (something like "Call Joe on mobile?"), then I would (I believe) speak yes, or press the red call button on the phone.

Since the upgrade to 2.3.5, when I press the call button on my headset, I do not hear anything, but after a couple seconds I can see "Listening" on the phone, then I speak "Call Joe on mobile", then the phone just dials a random phone number from call history or Contacts without any confirmation that the voice recognition actually selected the person I wanted to call.

Apparently, I am not alone with this issue. If Google:
"2.3.5" att bluetooth
You will find and att forum discussion titled "Android 2.3.5. update - AT&T Community Support'

Today AT&T tech support connected me to HTC tech support. I first told HTC about the ATT forum post. HTC had me enter Recovery Mode and clear the cache. You may Google:
htc inspire 4g recovery mode
to see a video on that.
That seemed to fix the part about selecting random phone numbers, but did nothing to address the problem of missing audible prompts in the Bluetooth headset, and automatically dialing a number without any confirmation to do so.

At this point, the HTC tech said I'd have to live with this because this is how v2.3.5 is coded to work. There was nothing that he could do further about my "problem".

Well, now I've lost an important functionality of my phone. I can longer depend on using the headset for hands-free driving. Dialing someone from my headset now requires that I take my eyes off the road several times and look at the phone to complete the operation.

Has anyone else experienced this "problem"?
Is this problem unique to the HTC Inspire 4G?
Is this problem common with all manufacturer's phones that run v2.3.5 ?

I greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Regards,
BABAB

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones