• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.3 aka Gingerbread is coming!

Hi all,

quick question regarding whether to update or not due to there being multiple issues with my phone. I hope you don't mind helping me out since this isn't COMPLETELY to do with the update ;)

-turning my phone off was easy, turning it back on meant the sound came on (as though it was loading) but there was no screen picture for 5 or so minutes.

-opening with the keyboard instead of unlocking with the unlock button means the screen doesn't turn on.

-sometimes it takes multiple attempts to unlock with the unlock button; I have to keep pressing it.

-opening with the keyboard in general, as though to text, makes the screen have a blue and yellow tint (I think this is a result of dropping my phone lots and there now being a misconnection between the screen and the keyboard).

I don't want to send it away for repairs, since I have next to no money to buy a phone to get myself by (the poor life of being a student, a girl, and loving spending money on myself and other people :p).

I'm just wondering if I should update, like I want to, or if it's going to be a gamble as to whether my phone turns on again after I update.

Upvote 0
I got my gingerbread update today. My Z is running a bit smoother but no great improvements :p

I'm still on Froyo. I find that when I flip open the keyboard and the home screens switch to landscape mode, it takes quite a while for the home screens to display. The same thing happens when I switch back to portrait. I find that I end up having to remember to close the keyboard before taking any action that takes me back to the home screen to avoid this long delay of several seconds. Does Gingerbread improve the performance when switching the home screens between portrait and landscape?

Upvote 0
And it is 2.3.3 with Sense 2.1...

Works great and all. Only slightly annoying thing is that my Network connection stopped functioning.

It doesn't matter what I do, I just can't get the connection to function.
It is enabled as it should, and my settings for my APN hasn't changed and my provider, Telia, says everything is working at their end.

Anyone else got this problem with the latest update?

Cheers

Upvote 0
You meant data connection? Ooohh... I'm so NOT getting this update if this is not an isolated case. Anybody got the update without any problems afterwards?

Yupp. Data Connection went bye bye.
Strange thing is that I got it working ONCE after the update and after that it just won't work anylonger.

Perhaps the wrong place, but...
I'm running Android 2.3.4 on mine at the moment. There are heaps of custom roms for the Desire Z that have both Android 2.3.3 and Sense 3.0 if you want that.

Anyone tried custom roms and got it working properly? (Noticed some people have problems with Virtuous Unity)

Cheers, sort of...

Upvote 0
Hi, I've just updated tp 2.3.3 on my desire Z with Vodafone UK, however, most apps have stopped working, especially one of my preferred Navfree. It just won't launch along with many others. Any ideas? My phone worked better on 2.2, how can I revert back to the previous software?

any help gratefully received.

Upvote 0
I guess they're doing a stepped deployment. I'd imagine that given that the firmwares are region-specific, they're likely to be doing it slowly so in case a problem pops up, they won't have to deal with the whole world.

And oh, my Desire Z has the Asia Pacific firmware. The 2.3.3 update became available on July 28 (my local time is GMT+8). Well at least HTC did a good job sticking to their promise about it being available "by the end of the month".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones