• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android and the F word

Move by NightAngel79, merge by me. :)

And the F word is fragmentation - from your article -

Not only is Google not to blame for manufacturers’ ham fists, but it ought to be applauded for the so-called fragmentation, for offering choices and enabling customization. Android’s chameleon character can cater to the needs of so many more people, but it’s much more than that. A short while ago, Jerry Hildenbrand over at Android Central said it best in a great article that likened Android to Linux. Specifically, Hildenbrand drew parallels between Android’s malleable platform and Linux, whose open architecture gave rise to the many operating systems that use the Linux Kernel. Check it out if you can. It’s well worth the read.

Given that Android is Linux, I'm not surprised by the basis or conclusions. :)

And no, as a non-Nexus owner, I don't feel I'm dealing with fragmentation at all.

I have three HTCs all running the same OS thanks to them standing behind speedy updates. Each one runs a different version of HTC Sense because each one has different hardware and not all three can run the latest Sense.

So, it's about choice. I can pull a boat with the one truck but not the other because of the hardware differences I chose. I think it's the same thing in Android phones.

And my phones, just like the vehicles, really have the same feel and operation overall - so - no confusion here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones