• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android asks for USB access permission twice

I have an application designed to operate the USB serial device. The Manifest contains the corresponding filter:

<intent-filter>
<action android:name="android.hardware.usb.action.USB_DEVICE_ATTACHED" />
</intent-filter>
<meta-data
android:name="android.hardware.usb.action.USB_DEVICE_ATTACHED"
android:resource="@xml/device_filter" />

When I plug the USB device, the system pop-up dialog asks "Open ... when this USB device is connected?". I can confirm or decline, and this part works fine. However, if I decline and then restart the application from the menu, my phone hangs out. In the stack trace, I see the error:

User has not given permission to device UsbDevice...

Therefore, I have to ask for the USB permission explicitly. I have tried several implementations and the simplest one looks like this (I use the usb_serial_for_android library: https://github.com/mik3y/usb-serial-for-android):

@override
protected void onResume() {
UsbManager manager = (UsbManager) getSystemService(Context.USB_SERVICE);
List<UsbSerialDriver> availableDrivers = CustomProber.getCustomProber().findAllDrivers(manager);
UsbSerialDriver driver = availableDrivers.get(0);
if (!manager.hasPermission(driver.getDevice())) {
manager.requestPermission(
driver.getDevice(),
PendingIntent.getBroadcast(this, 0, new Intent("com.android.example.USB_PERMISSION"), 0));
return;
}
}

The problem is that "manager.requestPermission" executes twice.

When I start the application from the menu, the pop-up dialog asks "Allow the app ... to access the USB device?" If I confirm, the same dialog appears again. It's a rather annoying behavior :(

Here is the Log:
I/storage permission: DENIED
V/PhoneWindow: DecorView setVisiblity: visibility = 4, Parent = null, this = DecorView@8856cab[]
D/WindowClient: Add to mViews: DecorView@8856cab[MainActivity], this = android.view.WindowManagerGlobal@5653205

The pop-up on storage access appeared. I pressed "allow"

I/storage permission: GRANTED
I/directory: EXISTS
I/usb permission: DENIED
V/PhoneWindow: DecorView setVisiblity: visibility = 0, Parent = ViewRoot{632025a com.ERG.erglogger/com.ERG.erglogger.MainActivity,ident = 0}, this = DecorView@8856cab[MainActivity]

The first pop-up on USB access appeared. I pressed "OK".

I/usb permission: DENIED
V/PhoneWindow: DecorView setVisiblity: visibility = 0, Parent = ViewRoot{632025a com.ERG.erglogger/com.ERG.erglogger.MainActivity,ident = 0}, this = DecorView@8856cab[MainActivity]

I pressed "OK", but the permission was not granted (manager.hasPermission(driver.getDevice()) is false). So, the second pop-up on USB access appeared, and after I pressed "OK", the permission was granted:

I/usb permission: GRANTED
D/CdcAcmSerialDriver: trying default interface logic

What do I miss?

P.S. I have also tried a "canonical" way described by Android Developers (https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/usb/host). However, this BroadcastReceiver based implementation behaves in the same way. I have read the related posts, like this one Android asks for USB permission twice and communicated with the author. The problem is still actual.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones