• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android: Change Gmail address without losing apps?

Shane2943

Jun 17, 2011
Katy, TX
So my wife has a Nexus 4. She just created a new Gmail address and wants to discontinue use of the old address that is currently tied to her phone and Play store with all her apps. I know how to add a new address to the phone, but I want to migrate her apps to the new address so her play store shows all her same apps but is associated with the new Gmail account. And then delete or deactivate her old gmail address. Hope this makes sense. How do I go about this?

Well that sucks. I guess she'll just have to keep the old address open for just her apps. :(

My wife had to do the same thing when we got married (and her first.last gmail address was no longer applicable). Google makes it relatively painless to merge Google+ accounts, and it's easy enough to set up one address to forward to the other, but she has to keep two accounts on her phone - one for her old paid apps, and another for everything else.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones