• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android crashing a lot

The reason I suspect it might be a fraction is that I've seen failure to install myself at about 1/10 of my total internal storage (which is rather more than 15 MB) and know that changing the warning threshold doesn't affect the install limit. But that doesn't tell us where it's located. Does seem from what you say that it's in the Android ROM itself though.

Since android source code is available, it should be possible to change it, but I don't know where in the system this is set.

Upvote 0
and neither do any of the other forums I searched elsewhere. either people don't see it a big issue, or they just install everything to SD. I think it is my phone's ROM. could also be version dependent. if it is indeed different then the variable must exist to be so changed in other devices. the warning threshold is what I disabled, or rather I set it so low it won't show up, but the install block either has to have a new entry to apply, similar to storage threshold, or removing an entry that already exists. if I knew exactly what the installer looks at to determine what space is available in order to throw that alert, then all i'd have to do is create an entry to bypass it similar to the Sys_Storage_Warning entry.

Upvote 0
If your running your phones internal storage down to 15mb no wonder its having problems. It needs some breathing room. Run your hard drive down to 15mb or even 10% capacity in your computer and see how bad it runs. A little common sense would go a long way. If you like iOS so much, sell your devices and go buy an iPhone. Problem solved.

Upvote 0
Honestly i have not had many crashes lately. when i first made this thread Android was throwing Force close after ANR after phantom boot and so on. lately it has been stable, so that is why the last few posts are for other issues. in fact, like i said so long as i don't allow too many apps to load in the background it seems fine. my ZTE has gone for over a couple weeks without a reboot which is new. i did manage to get the apps to run as i desire, and close. i don't use a task killer. i use a program that keeps apps from self-restarting IF i kill them. i only have so many running at one time, usually my mail programs, Facebook, launcher features, widgets and so on. the RAM is never over 250MB used and it's lag-free. my other concerns are with other limitations i am determined to fix.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones