• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I need help choosing a tablet

Let's put that hardware stuff aside for now, and talk about software:

The Kindle Fire is Android, but with Amazon's apps and modifications. That's common in the Android world. For example, a Samsung tablet (including smartphones) will have Sumsung's apps and modifications. Now, it's true that Amazon doesn't market Kindle Fires as Android tablets. There's a good reason for that: When people hear "Android", they'll think it has the Google app store and Google apps. The Fire doesn't (unlike even most modified Android systems), but you can install them yourself.

So Android vs Fire: That's the wrong question. The right question is: Near-stock Android vs a more modified Android. I've never used a near-stock Android. But I've used two Android systems with very different types of modifications. One is a Kindle Fire, the other is Chromium OS (aka Chrome OS, Chromebook) with Android app support. Originally, Android and Chromium OS were originally totally separate projects. Now, Chromebooks with Android app support are pretty much Android by another name (although some Chromebooks don't have Android app support).

You might think that, with two different flavors of modified Android (or modified to be Android in Chromium OS's case), I'd have two very different experiences. But I haven't. Ture, there's some work to get them close enough to stock Android for my needs. I had to install the Google appstore onto my Fire, along with basic Google apps which would normally come pre-installed. I had to activate the Android sub-system on my Chromebook (which itself is using a modified Chromium OS). But after the work I put in, it's pretty much the same experience.

Of course, there are caveats when using such a far-from-sock Android. I've already told you one caveat: The work I've put into getting both systems close enough to stock Android for my needs. The second caveat is: Not everything's going to work as smovly as it would under a near-stock Android! For example, I've read that the Kindle Fire doesn't work too well with custom launchers. I myself haven't been able to get custom keyboards to work properly with my Chromebook.

You may want to avoid that risk and headache, and stick to a near-stock Android. How can you find a tablet with a near-stock Android? I don't know. But if you'd like, I could look into that for you.
I don't care to do the work again with add Google Play, and I love my Nova Launcher on my android phone, it's the second one I've put the launcher on. I can't remember all I did on my chromebook, but I never got really hooked on it. I'd like a close to stock Android depending on how expensive they get. Are you saying I could get a keyboard of my choice with one, although I'm not sure I would use it. I have too many gadgets so I have to take my time, more than I have so far or I probably wouldn't have had to return 2 tablets already.

Upvote 0
Are you saying I could get a keyboard of my choice with one, although I'm not sure I would use it. I have too many gadgets
I meant an on-screen keyboard (I should have been clearer), but now that you mention it: Yes, you should be able to use a physical keyboard with Android.

I'd like a close to stock Android depending on how expensive they get.
Perhaps you should go with Google's own Pixel Tablet (not to be confused with the Pixelbook). I don't trust anything else to be near-stock Android. I don't know if the hardware's powerful enough for your needs, but here are the technical specifications.

Speaking of hardware: Are your Kindle Fires fast enough for your needs? If they are, that's a sign that you don't need to be too worried about hardware speeds. The Kindle Fire is not exactly a high-end tablet. If your Kindle Fires are fast enough, I'd think the Pixel Tablet would be more than fast enough.

Upvote 0
The specs are excellent! The cost is ok for me, but I can't find the same Pixel tablet on Amazon, and not familiar with buying from Google Store. Have you purchased from them before? I love the dang thing, want it, just wish it were on Amazon. Can't figure out why it isn't unless it's one of those "flagships" and Amazon just doesn't have one available.

Upvote 0
Have you purchased from [the Google Store] before?
No, I haven't. But I do use 1Password, and that helps a lot with purchasing from a new online store. It saves my shipping address and credit card information and all, so I can just plug it into a store. But that's under Windows, I don't know if 1Password will do that under Android.

Reactions: G0ldengirl52
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones