• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android encryption real? Or like iOS?

curious56

Lurker
Apr 6, 2019
Sorry for my poor English skills:

So far I've thought that iOS is safer than Android when it comes to physically accessing the data on the device.

I use iOS with a 6-digit PIN code. I found out that some computer programs (like PhoneRescue) can extract my notes, photos, contacts, calendars, and more from my iPhone without having to unlock the iPhone.

I wonder if this can also happen with the Android encryption technology?

Unfortunately, I do not have Android, so I can not test it myself.

Can't vouch for the older versions of Android as I can't remember that far back but these days you actually need to press to connect the phone to a pc and that option doesn't show up until you've unlocked the screen. Things are probably different if adb (android device bridge) has been enabled on the phone though.

Upvote 0
A pin is just a security code to unlock your iPhone (or Android phone) it really isn't part of the encryption algorithm. Both Android and iOS do indeed encrypt your data, but the difference as I see it is that Apple will keep a copy of the decryption key for your phone on their servers where Google does not. It exists ONLY on the phone. Now, if you ever break an iPhone and have to replace it, you can reimage the new phone with an old backup and decrypt your files, but it also means that if Apple ever wanted to access your stuff, they could too, or provide that to a govt. agency to break into your device without your account credentials.

Upvote 0
yep plus, this whole thing with Apple being safer then anything else is just either old wive's tales or better advertising. it's just not true. Apple devices can get hacked just like any other device out there. Its just like Google, their Pixelbook does not need an anti-virus program because its built in. But that does not mean its not safer then anything else. I have my doubts about it. I own one, but I'm still very careful with what i do with it, especially when I'm out and about.

Upvote 0
I use iOS with a 6-digit PIN code. I found out that some computer programs (like PhoneRescue) can extract my notes, photos, contacts, calendars, and more from my iPhone without having to unlock the iPhone.

Not true actually. And if that was true, the feds wouldn't have a problem extracting evidence data from suspects' locked smartphones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones