• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android Experts:How do I Convert Palm dba to CSV?

cubswin

Apr 14, 2010
Chicago
Hi, I am embarrassed to say, for my calendar, I have been using a Palm TungstenC! I have been loving my new Incredible, but I haven't figured out how to upload my Palm calendar to my phone. It will only export in a .dba file ("date book archive"). I tried changing the file name to .csv, to see if that would work, but no... Trying to export/import .dba to Google Calendar. Can anyone PLEASE help?
Thanks!
JG

Hi, I am embarrassed to say, for my calendar, I have been using a Palm TungstenC! I have been loving my new Incredible, but I haven't figured out how to upload my Palm calendar to my phone. It will only export in a .dba file ("date book archive"). I tried changing the file name to .csv, to see if that would work, but no... Trying to export/import .dba to Google Calendar. Can anyone PLEASE help?
Thanks!
JG

Try Palm2CSV: Convert your Palm Calendar (DBA) or To Do (Tasks) to CSV Format -- FREE!

or

Try Re: Convert .dba file to .xls or .doc - Palm Support Community

From the later url
Re: Convert .dba file to .xls or .doc
Options
09-15-2009 10:19 AM
Hi
I've found a solution for Windows that worked absolutely fine for me, here it is:
- export a .dba file from the palm desktop
- rename the file so that it's extension is .mdb (actually dba files are little Microsoft Jet Databases)
- create a System-DSN via an ODBC connection to the file (Start -> Settings -> System configuration -> Administration -> Data sources (ODBC); use the MS Access driver for that
- open Excel and create a new conntection to this ODBC connection
- select the tables that should be retrieved and inserted in your Excel sheet (the "main" table contains all information, "categories" the categories you defined in the palm calendar)
- to get the correct time (palm uses seconds since 1.1.1970 - which is the standard Unix time format - create an Excel formula on the CELL containing the seconds as follows =CELL(60*60*24) + "1/1/1970" , then select the format you want for this cell, e.g. Date DD.MM.YYYY
- finished, all data is now available as an Excel spread sheet and can be exchanged with others
Best,
HG

Thomas

Upvote 0
Palm (by 3Com) created the original PDA and I got one, 128k yep Palm Pilot 1000. Later I upgrade it to 512k, wow megabytes back then. I have accumated contacts, memo etc and migrated data via Palm Desktop to various device until that, last my being a Treo 650 smartphone. Now Palm also created the Treo 600 and I believe that was the first smartphone. Therefore clearly there are a lot out there and would like a means of transferring which does not require a degree in database conversions to get the data into the new smartphone. On another note Blackberry Desktop manager will do it all including memos along with the categories. I tried it on a Curve but did not like the device but it works 100% without complexities. Clearly they though it was a worth while venture to emply. Sadly the lack of a compatible PIM like Desktop Manager is another issue. Outlook is NOT a PIM and why the insist we use it is ridiculous. I did not then nor will now.

I am trying both a HTC Desire and LG Shine Plus both with 2.1 native OS and frankly am amazed at the lack of colour being used for the contacts(people or phonebook), text and email messages etc. Everything is somewhere between black and white and no colour flags or notifications for new messages etc. My 5 year old Treo handles it with colour and a lot better even when developed back then. I am not a heavy texter or emailer but was immediately wondering how to tell new info from old and why no colour is used in the body or indicators. I have high res screens of BW in nearly all the Android default info with few exceptions by design it appears. the LG has more colour in other areas used but not in the background or text of anything.

Upvote 0
Just tried this and had trouble under windows 7--probably would have worked just a little different so tricky to follow the step-by-step. But then I found a free download of a utility that converts mdb to xls or csv or whatever. Didn't work at first, but that was with Palm 4.1 files...when up used files exported by palm 6.2, it worked perfectly. The only problem is that, as far as I can tell, there's no way to import the details on repeating events into outlook. But at least it's nice to have them in a readable sortable format.

But I'll still probably spend $25 for the Chapura software, since that seems like the best way to do this right.

Upvote 0
Well I am using 6.2 need to convert or import my addresses into Android People. There are a lot fields, more than in the phone. The phone imports a vCard file if it exists automatically. No prompting or file selection. I would have to try it with the full address list I have. I had one I exported from my SIMM card which doesn't have as much info.

I would like a conduit to use with a Desktop PIM which would be best. I WILL NOT use Outlook for this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones