• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Marshmallow 6.01 Breaks Synching with Gmail and Outlook.com Accounts

Robin Gross

Lurker
Apr 12, 2016
I have both a Gmail and an Outlook.com email account. Before the upgrade (?) to Marshmallow 6.01, the synching was great -- the calendar updated immediately. I have my calendar synched between my Outlook.com account, my Outlook client, and my phone, and it worked great. Ever since the switch to 6.01, the synching for both of my email accounts has been disabled, although I can pull down emails if I start my email client (K-9). However, the calendar will not synch at all. I am seriously thinking of downgrading back to Android 5.22; 6.01 has been a complete disaster, as far as I'm concerned.

Marshmallow introduced a "Doze" feature, that increases standby battery life by not syncing all (non-critical) services real time. If you want real time Email notifications, you should be able to exclude that Email app from Doze.
In settings, search for battery optimization. Select "All apps" and tap on the Email app - and select "Don't optimize"

That should help with delayed sync. Calendar/Email not syncing at all (@Robin Gross) is a different issue - I'd suggest removing the accounts and adding them back again. Something must have gotten corrupted. I don't use K9, so not sure what it might be - but do reach out to the K9 developers to see if they have any suggestions

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones