• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android number 1 selling OS in US Q2 2010

byteware

Android Expert
Feb 18, 2010
Alabama
According to Canalys Android outsold both Rim (32.1%) and Apple(21.7%) this quarter with 34% of the market share in sales.

Congrats Android!:D

Also data indicates that they have outsold the iPhone globally as well, but I've been told that, and don't have access to the data to confirm it.

Here's the way I see it. Android's success is not simply that it is on more carriers and models. It's that one of those carriers is Verizon and they play to win. Droid does.
I bet that's what made Android really take off in the US. Verizon is a far larger network than AT&T, so its pretty much available anywhere within the US, as opposed to the iPhone which only gets 3G service in major cities and areas and has far more limited availability. Not to mention the Droid marketing campaign really helps in boosting presence of Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones