1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android number 1 selling OS in US Q2 2010

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by byteware, Aug 4, 2010.

1. byteware

byteware Android Expert

According to Canalys Android outsold both Rim (32.1%) and Apple(21.7%) this quarter with 34% of the market share in sales.

Congrats Android!:D

Also data indicates that they have outsold the iPhone globally as well, but I've been told that, and don't have access to the data to confirm it.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert

Dang, I don't think the iPhone ever had a bigger share than RIM, even though everyone acts like Apple was the leader in sales. This is very impressive for Android to do something Apple has never done.

3. Who woulda thought that something released on multiple carriers and hardware platforms would outsell something released on one?

4. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert

5. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

Microsoft. But they didn't.

jroc likes this.
  6. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

yup. And RIM isn't tied to AT&T. It's available everywhere.

7. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

Here's the way I see it. Android's success is not simply that it is on more carriers and models. It's that one of those carriers is Verizon and they play to win. Droid does.

8. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Android Enthusiast

And I bet Apple kicking they self in the arse.....thinking why did we choose 1 provider instead of all....they cant wait til contract expires with ATT

9. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Android Enthusiast

Come on now! You know Tmobile people LOVE iphone as well as all these other countries with all this unlocking lol...released on one legally, yes...but rocking on several GSM carriers

10. Demache

Demache Android Expert

I bet that's what made Android really take off in the US. Verizon is a far larger network than AT&T, so its pretty much available anywhere within the US, as opposed to the iPhone which only gets 3G service in major cities and areas and has far more limited availability. Not to mention the Droid marketing campaign really helps in boosting presence of Android.

11. byteware

byteware Android Expert

What really made Android take off was Verizon's ad campaign. It really drove Android into people's hands.