• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android OS Question

You can take Java courses, which will teach you specific language that would be useful in Android.

That said, learning concepts and structures associated with any type of programming will be very helpful across all types of programming, so don't shy away from a class just because it's not Java. Programming classes are more than just about the language you're programming in.

Upvote 0
You can take Java courses, which will teach you specific language that would be useful in Android.

That said, learning concepts and structures associated with any type of programming will be very helpful across all types of programming, so don't shy away from a class just because it's not Java. Programming classes are more than just about the language you're programming in.

So Computer Application, Computer Gaming & Simulations, and Information Tech are all related fields?

Upvote 0
So Computer Application, Computer Gaming & Simulations, and Information Tech are all related fields?

Sure. The general IT classes provide a good backing for being involved in technology, the computer application classes are probably general programming classes which are good, and the gaming/simulations classes are likely specialized programming classes targeted at gaming - but there are lots of games on Android, and more programming experience is usually a good thing.

Upvote 0
Sure. The general IT classes provide a good backing for being involved in technology, the computer application classes are probably general programming classes which are good, and the gaming/simulations classes are likely specialized programming classes targeted at gaming - but there are lots of games on Android, and more programming experience is usually a good thing.

OK, thanks. Im really trying to decide on a degree to chase after and as of right now I have been a lifelong gamer but more console based and I love how Android OS is opensource. However, I do work for DoD so Im trying to find the degree that will benefit me the most

Upvote 0
Also, you will get a ton of benefit out of doing and reviewing the sample projects and tutorials that you can get with the SDK (and/or find on the web). Grabbing an introductory Android 101 book wouldn't hurt either.

There are a lot of concepts that Android brings to the table that are not specifically addressed by simply being able to program in Java. I continue to be amazed at the depth and breadth of things there are to learn and that I've only scratched the surface with what I've learned so far.

So, immersing yourself in some of the tuturials, demos, and examples will expose you to a lot of features that make up Android.

It certainly helps to be proficient in Java, but you will actually learn more by doing (at least that's what I've found ;)).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I feel old. My 101 and 201 classes were Turbo Pascal. :D

I've played with that a bit.

I took programming at a local 2 year college to get the degree. I had already self-taught Basic, but thought the degree might help. Our class was the first to have Java for programming, but the class ahead of us had one year of C++ (or C#) and had to start over with our class. It worked out perfect for me since I'm a web developer and do a lot with Javascript. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones