• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android phone data backup and weather widget question

Hi there Everyone! This is my very first post on this forum. I have been a Nokia fan for years, but for a few months now I am totally thrilled and amazed by Android. So I decided to drop my Nokia phone, and buy a Samsung Galaxy S. I saved some money, and next month will have enough to buy my very first Android phone. I can

1. You have to have a gmail account if you want to use the android market and many of the features of the phone,tbh there is no point you getting an android phone if you dont want a gmail account.

2. Basically you need an internet connection if you want the weather widget to do live updating,ie change location and the weather forecast as you go about your day,saying that if you do lose internet connection it will just stay on whatever the last update was until you get a chance to update it again.

Upvote 0
Hi rtb35! Thank you for your quick reply. My problem with Google is that I wouldn't like to expose my personal contacts and everything online to Google. I might seem paranoid but it seems a bit frightening to me to expose all my personal data to a third party. So far I used Nokia and I had backed up everything safe on my computer. I did not need to share all these details with Nokia.

So there is no way to backup personal data just on my computer?

Thank you in advance!

Upvote 0
I found Google's online services a great value to me. I don't need to use Microsoft's office suite as I can do all that on my Google account and I can access it where I have Internet access and being able to use my HTC Incredible makes it even more convenient. Microsoft has Windows Live and Yahoo has their offerings but I find Google the best for my needs. I take what precautions that is afforded to me to keep my info safe and secure both on my computer and my android phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones