• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

android.process.media is using >95% CPU

qu1nn

Jun 11, 2010
Hello,

I need some help. I am an android NEWBIE The phone is warm & the battery drains in about 4hrs. Started searching some forums and tried several things, been battling unsuccessfully for several days.

Menu > About > Battery: Shows that Awake = Uptime

using an application called System Panel Lite to try to figure out what is going on...some png's are attached.

Here are some of the things that I have tried
1) Performed a Factory Reset
2) All Active Syncs = OFF : No Luck
3) home > apps > TALK : disabled automatic sign in, Signed out and rebooted = NO CHANGE

Menu > Settings > Applications > Running Services:
format: Application (process): Service:
bold = my problem

Calendar (com.htc.bgp): ObexService
Calendar (com.htc.bg): Connectivity Service
Google (com.google.process.gapps: GTalkService
Voicemail (com.coremobility.apps.vnotes: CM_Service
Media(android.process.media):MediaScannerService
HTC DM(com.htc.android.omadm.service): HtcDmService
Sprint Zone (com.sprint.zone): UpdateService
HTC IQAgent (com.htc.android.iqagent): AgentService
com.smithmicro.DM (com.smithmicro.DM): DMServiceApp
Touch Input (com.htc.android.htcime): Touch Input

I tried to shutdown the MediaScannerService process, however there was NO CHANGE in the CPU usage.

Any suggestions on what to try?

regards
qu1nn

Attachments

• 20100611-Battery Use.png
    20100611-Battery Use.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 299
  • 20100611-Battery & CPU info.png
    20100611-Battery & CPU info.png
    30 KB · Views: 274
  • 20100611-Android_Process_Media.png
    20100611-Android_Process_Media.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 265
I think android.process.media is what accesses media on your SD card. Do you have stuff(mp3's) on there or is it still factory clean?

Yes I have tons of stuff on the SD Card.
1) I hooked up the EVO to a computer as a disk drive and copied the entire contents of the stock card to a particular folder.
2) I took out the stock SD card from the evo.
3) I put in my 16GB Card
4) I formatted it with the EVO
5) Reconnected to a computer and dumped the files from stock back into the evo
6) Copied many other files that I had into various folders.

qu1nn

Upvote 0
Well you can definitely turn off Google Talk, which is just their chat thing on the gmail page. That's a start, though I dunno that it'll help that drastically.

Airball!!!!

Actuallt, GTalkService is your connection to Google's servers. Turning it off will stop most communication with your phone. Gmail won't update, contacts and calendars won't update... leave GTalkService running. It isn't eating your battery.

Upvote 0
Maybe a file got corrupted in the transfer and the phone gets stuck trying to read it over and over. Try formating and replacing everything? Or one by one opening each file and see if it hangs. That will be your problem file.

eek 3500 files, 144 folders. This should be fun.
This is considered a bug right....

Thanks for responding, I thoroughly wasted a minimum of 24hrs on this. I need a drink.
qu1nn

Upvote 0
Well you can definitely turn off Google Talk, which is just their chat thing on the gmail page. That's a start, though I dunno that it'll help that drastically.

Airball!!!!

Actuallt, GTalkService is your connection to Google's servers. Turning it off will stop most communication with your phone. Gmail won't update, contacts and calendars won't update... leave GTalkService running. It isn't eating your battery.

Just for the record. I have Google talk turned off and my Gmail updates just fine. Don't use the calandet so can't speak to that but Gmail works fine without Google talk.

Upvote 0
Just for the record. I have Google talk turned off and my Gmail updates just fine. Don't use the calandet so can't speak to that but Gmail works fine without Google talk.

Does your Gmail still give you notifications? I stopped my GTalkService and my gmail stopped notifying me when I got emails. Restarted the phone and notifications were back working...

Upvote 0
Does your Gmail still give you notifications? I stopped my GTalkService and my gmail stopped notifying me when I got emails. Restarted the phone and notifications were back working...

I manually killed GTalkService to test this out. It took a long time for gmail to push the new email to me but it eventually did. I looked and GTalkService had reloaded itself. So yea it looks like GTalkService does have to do with gmail comunication.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones