• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android script to automatically print files copied to a folder?

tommydog1

Lurker
Jul 5, 2021
Is there a script for android that would automatically print files that are copied to a certain folder? Once printed, I would like the script to then delete the files in the folder. At the moment I am using the HP Print Service plugin to print from android to a HP printer, but want to automate this process so that I don't have to open each document that I want to print. I simply want a script to print all files in a folder and when printed delete those files. File types I need printed are jpg, PNG, doc, docx, pdf.

If there is nothing already written to do this, how difficult would it be to write something like this for android?

Is there a script for android that would automatically print files that are copied to a certain folder? Once printed, I would like the script to then delete the files in the folder. At the moment I am using the HP Print Service plugin to print from android to a HP printer, but want to automate this process so that I don't have to open each document that I want to print. I simply want a script to print all files in a folder and when printed delete those files. File types I need printed are jpg, PNG, doc, docx, pdf.

If there is nothing already written to do this, how difficult would it be to write something like this for android?
Probably not difficult, if you're already proficient in writing *nix scripts. However....

I agree with @mikedt. I think the easiest thing would be to use an app that already exists.

But something jumped out at me that you might want to rethink/reconsider. Given all the potential for something to fail along the way (a paper jam, for example, or running out of ink or whatever), *I* would move the files somewhere else after they've [theoretically] printed, and only delete them when you're sure they really did print. Of course, if they're not of such importance that this kind of caution is called for, never mind! :)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones