• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android updates

psz1234

Lurker
Aug 25, 2022
I installed GrapheneOS on a Pixel 3. Now I'm told I should upgrade to Pixel 6 so I will receive security upgrades. I don't do a lot with my phone. I use only a few apps and I don't store any personal data. I got GrapheneOS mainly so i wouldn't be tracked by Google and always be providing them my location. Do I really need these security upgrades? What will these upgrades protect me from as I store no information on my phone? Do I really need to spend $500 on another phone? If so, then for what? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I merged duplicate topics. I've not used Graphene. Are the updates coming from them? I suppose if you aren't worried about having to wipe your phone to get rid of some nasty's and you aren't installing dodgy apps you are probably OK.
Google no longer provides security upgrades for Pixel 3, so GrapheneOS can't supply them either. GrapheneOs is isistant about upgrading to a new phone. I've tried to ask their community about why I need these updates and they just kicked me out. Said I was trolling. I'd like to know if I don't use dodgy apps and I don't store data on my phone, then what could a security update prevent?

Upvote 0
Don't ignore the fact that an independent firmware like GrapheneOS is also based on Android's modified base kernel. So yeah it's clean from all that Google proprietary oversight but that doesn't mean there's some kind of magic that makes your phone impervious to malware. Keep in mind that there are a continuous number of revelations about newly discovered exploits and compromises for both software (operating system and apps) and hardware vulnerabilities. These could involve vulnerabilities are relatively new, or some going back for years. So some of these could be something that's been used against us for years and only now discovered. The point is, there are a lot of potential weak points -- there are literally millions of lines of code that make up the Android operating system and all it takes is one string of that code to interact with a string of code in an app in a certain way to open up an exploit. Or there's some vulnerability in a commonly used processor chip that affects millions of phone models and requires a firmware patch (software). There are any number of variables involved so it's mind-boggling to sort any of them out.

Basically, there are any number of compromises involved with any online interaction. You can dismiss security and privacy issues as irrelevant and just keep using your Pixel 3 as is, and odds are you'll be fine. Just keep being vigilant and use common sense, that's apparently working for you. But don't be too surprised if one day you find you are a victim of identity theft or you find your phone is one of the bots in a DDoS attack, it's a matter of possibility or probability.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. I don't keep ANY information about myself on my phone and I only use a couple apps and do no banking, I do all my important stuff on a Linux PC, which is frequently updated for free. I only visit websites that I trust.I really don't see how I could be a victim of Identity Theft, except for perhaps my phone number. As for bots, What could they do to me? I think I'll take my chances and stick with Pixel 3. Many people are saying it's a better phone than Pixel 6 anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones