• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Annoyance with Contacts app

electronaut

Feb 21, 2011
I am a new Atrix/Android user, coming from an iPhone.

I use Google for everything--Gmail, Contacts, Calendar, etc. It always annoyed me that the iPhone didn't get things quite right when syncing with Google services. For example, the iPhone would only sync with the "My Contacts" group of Google Contacts.

I've been looking forward to moving to Android for some time, thinking that since it is from Google that everything will work much more seamlessly with all the Google services I know and love.

Whoops!! Not so fast...apparently the Contacts app that ships with the Atrix is even worse than the iPhone one. It wants to suck in 'All Contacts' from Google, which, if you use Google Contacts, you know means it is anyone you ever emailed or got a spam from or whatever. Ridiculous. The Android Calendar app is a little better, but still not as nicely synced as the iPhone calendar app was with Google Calendar.

Now, I've done some things to help myself out--installed LauncherPro and Home Switcher so I can switch away from that MotoBlur crap. I installed "Contacts GroupU", and that at least lets me get to my Google Contacts groups.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for apps that integrate really well with Google Contacts, Calendar, etc.?

Electronaut. If you are making a call(hit green phone) and goto contacts it only shows people with phone #'s, whereas if you click the blue button it shows everyone.

I had 575 contacts, only 45 being phone numbers. It took me about 10-15 minutes to delete everyone and now I will just add everyone who emails me emails to their google contact list and turn off the option to save everyone.

Upvote 0
Thinking about getting a Atrix but want to try one at a AT&T store 1st (also looking at the Samsung SII that will be comming out soon).

Using my Sexy Nexy with AT&T (Nexus One and it has been a excellent phone)..

As to the contacts.. I don't know if the Atrix has the same screen setting as my N1 but since it is 2.2/2.3 (I have 2.2.2) the screens should be similar.

I was just going thru my N1 and notice when you in your contacts list I hit menu and hit display options. Then a screen comes up and if you scroll down you might see a Choose conatcts to display..and below that your syncs should be listed (Google/twitter/facebook etc etc) I pressed my google and a list came up with different system group lists (My contacts/Friends/Family/Co workers etc) and it has a box next to them that i can press to check it on or off.

Hopefully that might get your contacts in order/which ones you want. If it don't work well I am just trying to help out (I hate contact lists that are messed up too).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones