1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Annoyance with Contacts app

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by electronaut, Feb 21, 2011.

1. electronaut

electronaut Newbie
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    I am a new Atrix/Android user, coming from an iPhone.

I use Google for everything--Gmail, Contacts, Calendar, etc. It always annoyed me that the iPhone didn't get things quite right when syncing with Google services. For example, the iPhone would only sync with the "My Contacts" group of Google Contacts.

I've been looking forward to moving to Android for some time, thinking that since it is from Google that everything will work much more seamlessly with all the Google services I know and love.

Whoops!! Not so fast...apparently the Contacts app that ships with the Atrix is even worse than the iPhone one. It wants to suck in 'All Contacts' from Google, which, if you use Google Contacts, you know means it is anyone you ever emailed or got a spam from or whatever. Ridiculous. The Android Calendar app is a little better, but still not as nicely synced as the iPhone calendar app was with Google Calendar.

Now, I've done some things to help myself out--installed LauncherPro and Home Switcher so I can switch away from that MotoBlur crap. I installed "Contacts GroupU", and that at least lets me get to my Google Contacts groups.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for apps that integrate really well with Google Contacts, Calendar, etc.?

Advertisement

2. gzrecoil

gzrecoil Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Electronaut. If you are making a call(hit green phone) and goto contacts it only shows people with phone #'s, whereas if you click the blue button it shows everyone.

I had 575 contacts, only 45 being phone numbers. It took me about 10-15 minutes to delete everyone and now I will just add everyone who emails me emails to their google contact list and turn off the option to save everyone.

3. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    is there not an option to only display names with numbers? the option is on the Evo...
    strange.

4. evilbastard

evilbastard Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    I used an IPhone/Android app called Funambol. Uploaded contacts from my IPhone, then installed app on Atrix. Downloaded contacts into phone. Real painless. And it was free.

5. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    If its anything like the Moto Defy, open Contacts, press the Menu "hard key", and then press "Display Group". There should be some sorting options there.

6. tical2k

tical2k Member
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    i suppose you could import your contacts to moto blur and use that... but everyone seems to hate it for its crippling effects on past phones...

7. Munchausen0

Munchausen0 Newbie
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    Male
    Las Vegas
    Thinking about getting a Atrix but want to try one at a AT&T store 1st (also looking at the Samsung SII that will be comming out soon).

Using my Sexy Nexy with AT&T (Nexus One and it has been a excellent phone)..

As to the contacts.. I don't know if the Atrix has the same screen setting as my N1 but since it is 2.2/2.3 (I have 2.2.2) the screens should be similar.

I was just going thru my N1 and notice when you in your contacts list I hit menu and hit display options. Then a screen comes up and if you scroll down you might see a Choose conatcts to display..and below that your syncs should be listed (Google/twitter/facebook etc etc) I pressed my google and a list came up with different system group lists (My contacts/Friends/Family/Co workers etc) and it has a box next to them that i can press to check it on or off.

Hopefully that might get your contacts in order/which ones you want. If it don't work well I am just trying to help out (I hate contact lists that are messed up too).

8. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    yup that's essentially how it is on the Evo. so there has to be an option there

9. nemesiz

nemesiz Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    Would you guys recommend importing contacts through motoblur or use gmail sync contacts? any pros or cons with either of them?

10. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009

It may be "prudent" to do both. That way, if you move to another phone, if one service is not available, you can still have access to all contacts/data/etc.

11. Munchausen0

Munchausen0 Newbie
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    Male
    Las Vegas
    Well if you plan on staying with Android phones then just Google will be fine.. but either way you can always just copy the contacts to your card..take it out put in new phone and xfer back...tada.

12. dimammx

dimammx Newbie
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    You have more Editing options such as selecting contacts with phone numbers in
    Moto Phone Portal. (using wifi or usb)