• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another Huawei Watch 2?!

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    Saw a tweet today from Evan Blass (@evleaks) that the Huawei Watch 2 2018 will be the same as the original, except for the addition of eSIM support.

eSIM? Seriously, Huawei? I don't know of anyone who would make phone calls with their watch... I know a lot of people, like me, who would love NFC support for mobile payments. I love my Huatch, and want it to last for a long time. Yes, we have Android Wear 2.0 (but not Wear OS), but how much longer can we expect updates for the original? Are we going to be compelled to buy the new one for future-proofing?

Saw a tweet today from Evan Blass (@evleaks) that the Huawei Watch 2 2018 will be the same as the original, except for the addition of eSIM support.

eSIM? Seriously, Huawei? I don't know of anyone who would make phone calls with their watch...
    dick-tracy-watch-11.jpg

Not phone calls, but for wireless data I think it's really intended for. So it doesn't always have to rely on the phone's tethered wireless data or WiFi. I'm sure we've had a few posts about using an Android Wear watch without having a phone nearby, like at the gym or when jogging or something.

I'm already using eSIM technology for wireless data
    when I'm in the UK and Europe, and no longer have to buy a local SIM or use expensive data roaming.

I know a lot of people, like me, who would love NFC support for mobile payments.

Of course I'm thinking of and see Huawei's domestic and largest market..and NFC for mobile payments isn't used much in China though, apart from Apple Pay or Samsung Pay, which relatively few establishments offer. It's all QR codes with Alipay and Tenpay.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I need your assistance, folks. I'm so exhausted today that I can't think straight.

I ordered and received a new Huawei Watch 2 Classic. I want to get it updated to the latest version of Wear OS. The watch states:

Wear OS by Google

Home App

Android Security Patch Level
    March 1, 2018

I contacted Huawei Support, asking why the watch keeps telling me 'System is up to date' when it's on version 1.5. They replied that if the watch says 'Wear OS' it IS on the latest version, or it would say 'Android Wear'.

I wasn't aware that the numbering convention started over with the name change. Like I said, I'm too tired to figure this out. Please let me know if they are correct. I just want to make sure that my interactive complications will work, and that it's ready for the next major update in the upcoming weeks.

EDIT:

Never mind - apparently the numbering convention changed with the name "Wear OS". While it shows 1.5, my 3rd party complications work just fine. So I'm reasonably happy with the purchase...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Apparently the watch is up to date, despite the 1.5 - my 3rd party interactive complications work fine.

I messaged Huawei about wearing the watch to the pool and was a bit surprised to learn that the OFFICIAL HUAWEI position is that the leather band, not the watch, is IP68 rated. So it will be fine to get the band a little wet or dusty: just wipe it off quickly. But do NOT get the watch wet!

HUH?

:p

Reactions: mikedt
    Upvote 0
    Apparently the watch is up to date, despite the 1.5 - my 3rd party interactive complications work fine.

I messaged Huawei about wearing the watch to the pool and was a bit surprised to learn that the OFFICIAL HUAWEI position is that the leather band, not the watch, is IP68 rated. So it will be fine to get the band a little wet or dusty: just wipe it off quickly. But do NOT get the watch wet!

HUH?

:p

Huawei describes the thing as a "sports watch" on their website. So that doesn't include water sports?

Upvote 0
    Huawei describes the thing as a 'sports watch' on their website. So that doesn't include water sports?

They later came back and said:

'We apologize for the misunderstanding, Lamar! When I said band, I was referring to the watch. The Watch 2 Classic is IP68 rated.'

Well, which is it?

It's IP68 but I can't get it wet? I told them I was referring to a shallow therapy pool, the watch would never exceed the IP68 specs, but they seemed very paranoid about my getting any water around the watch beyond an incidental splash while washing my hands...

Reactions: mikedt
    Upvote 0
    They are clearly marketed as IP68 which means it should resist water intrusion when immersed in up to 30 meters of water for up to 90 minutes. It is a clearly defined and easily verifyable standard so if they are selling millions of watches advertised as such they would be in big trouble by now.

As I reverenced above, I went snorkeling with my Huawei Watch 1, which is IP67 rated. That means 1.5 meters for 90 minutes. I was obviously well within the tolerances, and as such, no problem

What may also be highly verifiable (there is at least a ton of anecdotal evidence :p) is that Huawei's customer service isn't very knowledgeable or helpful, especially for western markets. YMMV

All that said, I'd use your lap pool without fear for sessions less than 90 minutes. :D

More info here:
    https://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/what-is-ip68-ip-ratings-explained-2947135

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones