• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Antenna (includes GPS), reception discussion

Currently I am using the lg optimus g, which in my eyes is a great device. My question is, how does the One hold up on sprint network? I live in the NYC area.y optimus is pretty good at holding a signal and all and I was wondering from real users what you think of this phone on sprint? I would love to switch carriers but my job pays for my service, so I have to deal with it if I don't want another bill. Any input would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Ymmv depending on location, but here in southern California I am getting excellent service. Even in these electronic heavy studios (Gower, Paramount, Bronson, Studio City) I'm getting 4G access inside. For me that's fantastic.

Outside I'm getting solid 3g service and nice 4G service in those areas where 4G is running rampant.

Very pleased overall

Upvote 0
I had a very frustrated problem. I got a brand new HTC ONE from Sprint about two weeks ago. I live in a neighborhood with very strong LTE coverage, official launched area. I used an app to show the signal strength. If I restart my phone or toggle the flight mode, my phone will show 4G icon. However, whenever I tried to use LTE (such as run the speed test), the network will be switched back to EHRPD/Rev.A. I already updated my profile, PRL, and software many times. I began to realize that I may have a phone issue. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
I had a very frustrated problem. I got a brand new HTC ONE from Sprint about two weeks ago. I live in a neighborhood with very strong LTE coverage, official launched area. I used an app to show the signal strength. If I restart my phone or toggle the flight mode, my phone will show 4G icon. However, whenever I tried to use LTE (such as run the speed test), the network will be switched back to EHRPD/Rev.A. I already updated my profile, PRL, and software many times. I began to realize that I may have a phone issue. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS BONDSEVEN! :party:

How does the phone behave when not using the SPEEDTEST app?
Is this the only time that you have issues?

Also,if you using a 3rd party task killer,get rid of it,unless you're absolutely certain it's set-up properly to not interfere w/connectivity.Even then,until your 4G-LTE issues are resolved,I'd ditch it.

A call to SPRINT CUSTOMER CARE is in order as well.They'll not only be able to troubleshoot your phone,but,also determine if any network issues are affecting your coverage area.

Please keep us posted on your progress & once again,WELCOME TO ONEDERLAND! :thumb:

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Thanks.

When connected to 4G, open the Phone Dialer and type in ##DEBUG# and then Enter LTE Engineering. Once in there take a look at RSRP signal strength and take note. Anything under -100 should get at least a Speedtest done. What area are you in? Sprint has been launching markets at around 50% done so even though your area has LTE officially the build out may not be complete. Could also be an issue of tower overload because of inadequate backhaul. Now when your RSRP strength gets to about -115 or so data will be mostly unusable and at around -120 you will switch back to 3G.

Upvote 0
I don't know why the AT&T variant would be different but anything under -110 tends to be very good. Obviously -70 is best but... :D
At -120 the AT&T variants jump onto HSPA apparently like the Sprint variant does.
I was able to get mine down to -118 and I was still pulling 10 megabits a second down and 5 up with ~60ms latency.

To me that's acceptable... but I have seen people on blogs and forums apply some kind of crazy logic to signal levels... and the fact that Android still has some lingering issues displaying that correctly to a user.
Also note that some apps on the market don't read the LTE signal levels correctly on the HTC One.
They will always display -85 RSRP forever....

In reality unless there is some other issue such as interference a -120 should also get a speedtest done.
It won't be fast but you should not have an issue.
LTE is good to -120 in real world, -140 or so in a lab.

Upvote 0
I don't know why the AT&T variant would be different but anything under -110 tends to be very good. Obviously -70 is best but... :D
At -120 the AT&T variants jump onto HSPA apparently like the Sprint variant does.
I was able to get mine down to -118 and I was still pulling 10 megabits a second down and 5 up with ~60ms latency.

To me that's acceptable... but I have seen people on blogs and forums apply some kind of crazy logic to signal levels... and the fact that Android still has some lingering issues displaying that correctly to a user.
Also note that some apps on the market don't read the LTE signal levels correctly on the HTC One.
They will always display -85 RSRP forever....

In reality unless there is some other issue such as interference a -120 should also get a speedtest done.
It won't be fast but you should not have an issue.
LTE is good to -120 in real world, -140 or so in a lab.

Sprint LTE (in my experience) is wholly unusable at that -120 level and degrades rapidly around -110. Penetration on Sprint LTE is not nearly as good so unless you are far away with line of site of the tower (i.e. no building or obstructions) , those levels will make data awful.

Upvote 0
I've had my HTC One for just over a week and have no problem in giving it 10/10.

The GPS reception is better than any I've had on my previous devices - it picks up the satellites within seconds of switching GPS on and locks on in under 30 seconds, and that is in my house!! The Desire S had to be outside before it would even think about looking for a satellite.

With the addition of GLONASS, the One picks up an amazing 22 to 25 satellites and locks on to 10 to 14 on a regular basis giving me a 3 to 4 metre accuracy.

I know it's early days, but up to now I really can't fault it. I've had the Desire S for two years and have always thought it to be a cracking device, but the One is AWESOME!! It does everything I need it to do, and does it well.

:)

:thinking:

'Settings - Apps - All' shows :- Phone storage 10.79GB/32.00GB

which is as expected.

When looking at 'Settings - Apps - Running', mine shows :- RAM 604MB/1.5GB.

The 604MB varies as apps/tasks open/close but I expected to see 2GB as the total - any ideas??

:thinking:

:):rolleyes: No longer confused, spoken to HTC Support - 1.5GB is correct being the usable RAM with 0.5GB taken by the device. Although there is a bit of inconsistency in that they don't show the device storage in the same way as there is about 24GB available to the user, not 32GB, but this is referred to in the full spec details.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I sent in my HTC One black after 3 days because of this problem [see this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-one/735047-sprint-anyone-death-grip-reception-problem.html]] with very bad reception. After a week i got a brand new one. Same problem. Now i will call them again. This is just sad. :mad:
Another wierd thing is when ever i make a call and from the time i press the call button, the signal goes up to full. And as soon as the call is over the signal drops down to 1 or no lines. There it stays. During the call the signal is just fine and there is no problems with the quality and sound of the call. Is it a software issue or some kind of power saving?

Upvote 0
LTE is just as faux G as the others.

LTE Advanced and WiMax 2, both deployed nowhere last I checked, made the actual 4G spec, everything else was negotiated.

They made that spec a moving target and dragged it out to almost no end.
Wimax2? I didn't think anyone would be willing to pursue any form of Wimax after the crappy rollout Sprint had with it. I hadn't even heard of WiMax2. I suppose this discussion doesn't really belong here, but now I will have to go do some google searches. I am curious about WiMax 2. Morbid curiosity I suppose. :)

Upvote 0
WiMax is more like WiFi whereas LTE is a GSM technology.

Had carriers gone with a good WiMax implementation we'd all have been better off imo, but that train left the station a few years ago. Pity really.

Anyway, sure surprised about what is going on with some of Sprint copies of this phone. :(

Well, my wife and I have had our Sprint HTC Ones now for a few weeks. I can't say that we have run into any problems with the phones, either in build or any of the antennae. I get much better 3G throughput than I did on my Evo3D. I can't say whether signel strength is any better. My house is in a fairly dead spot. Just going by signal BARS, my Evo3D is about the same as my One, but based on actual data throughput, my One blows the Evo3D out of the water.

I know people are talking about a deathgrip problem, but neither myself nor my wife have had even an inkling of that problem. For the first several days, I used my phone with no case, and since then it has been in an Otterbox Defender. I didn't see any difference, and I never had a problem no matter how I held the phone.

Actually, let me rephrase that a bit. I never had any issue with 3G or 4G. For the WiFi, I do see some pretty significant swings in signal strength, but I can't seem to narrow it down to anything in particular. At first I thought it was due to how I held the phone, but the more I mess with it, it actually seems like maybe it is actually interference from somewhere else. I have watched my Wifi signal drop by more than half, while it is sitting on the table.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this phone. To be honest, I was seriously considering dropping Sprint, even though we have been with them for somewhere around 12 or 13 years, just because we couldn't even use the internet on our phones because the speeds were so horrible. (not just on our Evo3Ds. Also on my son's E4GT, and on my wife's earlier HTC Hero). I don't know why the One gives me so much more speed with similar signal, but I do know that it finally makes having unlimited data worthwhile.

Upvote 0

I know people are talking about a deathgrip problem, but neither myself nor my wife have had even an inkling of that problem. For the first several days, I used my phone with no case, and since then it has been in an Otterbox Defender. I didn't see any difference, and I never had a problem no matter how I held the phone.

If you don't mind, can you tell me where you got your phone? I went to a Sprint store yesterday and the guy there did not have problem with his HTC One either.

Do you have WiFi reception problem only with the HTC One? My HTC One's WiFi performance is *much* better than my previous HTC Evo 4G.

Check out "Wifi Analyzer"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

Sounds a lot like you're sharing a channel with a neighbor.

I use this app on my phone too. But I'd like to note the following. WiFi performance problem can be caused by other WiFi APs or non-WiFi signal sources. One should try to address WiFi AP interference first.

There are only 3 non-overlapping channels in the 2.4GHz band. They are CH1, CH6, and CH11. In other words, APs in CH2 and CH3 can interfere with CH1. APs in CH4, CH5, CH7, and CH8 can interfere with CH6. Finally, APs in CH 9 and CH10 can interfere with CH11. Try to use one of them that does not have other APs which can cause problems.

It is important to note that one would get worse interference from APs in adjacent channels than directly on top of each other. For example, if you are on CH6, an AP in CH4, CH5, CH7, or CH8 can give you worse interference than if that AP is also on CH6. This is because the MAC layer protocol can avoid mid-air collision if the two APs are on the same channel.

Lastly, one has to consider interference from non-WiFi sources as well. In a field trouble shooting project, we found that a wireless surveillance camera greatly impacted the WiFi throughput performance. We had to manually switched the channel to avoid the interference.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I got my One at Best Buy in Wichita, KS. As far as the wi-fi, I haven't really done any troubleshooting yet. I did switch over to the 5g band on my router which seems to working well, so it could have been channel interference. I am within range of 4 other wi-fi signals, so that makes sense.

Upvote 0
I use this app on my phone too. But I'd like to note the following. WiFi performance problem can be caused by other WiFi APs or non-WiFi signal sources. One should try to address WiFi AP interference first.

There are only 3 non-overlapping channels in the 2.4GHz band. They are CH1, CH6, and CH11. In other words, APs in CH2 and CH3 can interfere with CH1. APs in CH4, CH5, CH7, and CH8 can interfere with CH6. Finally, APs in CH 9 and CH10 can interfere with CH11. Try to use one of them that does not have other APs which can cause problems.

It is important to note that one would get worse interference from APs in adjacent channels than directly on top of each other. For example, if you are on CH6, an AP in CH4, CH5, CH7, or CH8 can give you worse interference than if that AP is also on CH6. This is because the MAC layer protocol can avoid mid-air collision if the two APs are on the same channel.

Lastly, one has to consider interference from non-WiFi sources as well. In a field trouble shooting project, we found that a wireless surveillance camera greatly impacted the WiFi throughput performance. We had to manually switched the channel to avoid the interference.

Hope this helps.

I've consistently found slower throughput and terrible voip phone performance with directly overlapping channels, as well as lower signal strength. Collison management seems to always come at price.

In any case, get away from the neighbors.

100% agree about watching out for other radio interference.

I'm seh, below.

Attachments

• 1372809325940.jpg
    1372809325940.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 63
  • 1372809349901.jpg
    1372809349901.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 60
  • 1372809369460.jpg
    1372809369460.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
If i go in to settings for mobil network and change network modus from default GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto to any of the other options-only WCDMA-only GSM or GSM/WCDMA auto i instantly get full lines in antenna signal. If i dont use the LTE setting i wont get 4G speeds. Damn it this is doing my head in. Also when i use LTE and activate mobil network i get a 4G icon top of the screen, as i should, and still 0 lines in the GSM. But as soon i make a call the GSM lines go to full and the 4G change to 3G and H. As soon as the call is over it goes back to 4G ans 0 lines. Long term evolution my behind. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones