• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any former iPhone users here?

Hi I was wondering what the opinions of the galaxy s3 are for former Iphone 4s owners. I am considering the galaxy s3 but would like to hear some view points. Thanks guys!

I still have the iPhone 4S and "for me" besides the iPhone having a few more major name apps, the S3 wins hands down for everything else. My iPhone is sitting on the kitchen table and besides using it for a Siri vs S Voice test a few days ago, I don't think I touched it since.

I am planning to turn it off when my billing cycle ends.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have owned every iphone since the first up to the 4s. So making the decision to change to the S3 was difficult but I really fancied a change.
At first I had a lot of issues changing over, ie syncing contacts, bookmarks, calenders etc. But after a couple of evenings sussing it out I got everything from the 4s on to my new S3.
Initially on actually using the new S3, I was not sure about it all. It was all quite different and a bit of a learning curve. But now 3 weeks in, I have to say it's probably the best phone I have used. It's absolutely packed with brilliant features and is massively customizable. I used to JB the iphone but the S3 is really easy to customize out of the box and I've not even looked into rooting it yet. Not sure if I need to. Maybe one day.
I was thinking last week will this just be a novelty of having something new to play with, but can definitely say now it's not a novelty that will wear off anytime soon.
I'm still a massive Apple fan, owning many Apple products round the house including imacs and they won't be replaced any time soon.
But I am massively glad I took the plunge with the S3. Great phone.
I'd say give it a go, but make sure you give it some time to get used to and don't dismiss it within a couple of days. Definitely a phone to fiddle with to get lot's out of it.
Cheers, Rich

Upvote 0
Had been using iPhones since 2008 and switched tothe S2 a few months ago and now have the S3. It is a bit of a learning curve at first, to figure how things work in Android, but the S3 is head and shoulders above the iPhone.

And regardless of what iLovers say about the screen being pentile and not an ips like the iPhone, you can't see any pixels (it is a "retina" display at 306pi on a 4.8 inch screen. The iPhone is 326ppi on a tiny 3.5" screen.)

That said, I own a ton of Apple products from ATV2's, ATV3, iMac, MBP, iPads, iPhone4s, and even an Apple T-shirt from my pilgrimage to Apple HQ in Cupertino. :D And in spite of all that and my fondness for Apple products, in my opinion, the Samsung S3 is THE BEST phone I have ever owned. The ICS update has been the game changer and has put Android on par with the smoothness and operation of iOS. Jelly Bean update, from what I hear, will speed up the OS even more, as if it wasn't fast enough on the S3.

Anyway, that is my spiel. good luck in whichever product you choose, even if you decide to wait for the iPhone 5. I'm sure it will be a nice device as well.

Upvote 0
I've owned every iPhone since the 3G. I'm with VZW so I haven't gotten my hands on the S3 yet, but this is really the only phone to not only tempt me from the iOS ecosystem but cleanly yank me away. I'd say play with one if you have doubts. I know I'm going to run into frustrations with not having iCloud and especially iMessage. For a lot of people, the convenience factor of iOS just trumps the fun stuff in Android. Hell, I may not even think the S3 is worth leaving what I know of the iPhone end the end, but it'd be foolish of me to not give a product that's *this good* a fair shot.

Upvote 0
Pros of S3
+LTE
+big screen
+good looking
+live wallpapers, WIDGETS, better notification bar
+love the google maps/gps. Really good.
+love how everything is sync'd to your gmail account
+flash support- still recommend watching youtube videos on the youtube app, but good to see a webpage and not a bunch of nothing.
+removable battery
+expandable storage
+NFC & tectiles
+back is plastic so it's more secure

Negatives
-OS is already dated (Jelly Bean time!) and will likely stay that way for at least another 1/2 year if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, by this time next year you will still be on Ice Cream Sandwich, still waiting for Jelly Bean with no official word yet from Google or Samsung, with newer phones coming out with Key Lime Pie.
-can be laggy at times, freeze, and restarting/pulling battery is a technique you will master
-still not as wide a selection of apps vs. iTunes
-switching over, all your drm-protected iTunes music and apps are worth squat
-still new, don't know if there will be problems, ala GPS fiasco?
-iPhone has more accessories

For me it's a toss up. I switch between wanting to buy the GS3 now and waiting until the iPhone 5 comes out. With the GS3's OS already dated, I'm gonna wait till the iPhone 5 comes out to 1) see what that's all about 2) see if the GS3 will get Jelly Bean and 3) if not, what other flagship phones with Jelly Bean are available. I like iOS 6, it's got some interesting features. If the iPhone 5 doesn't wow me and I know the GS3 will not get Jelly Bean that quickly, maybe I can hope for a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 with Jelly Bean....

Reactions: rcyphermd
Upvote 0
Pros of S3
+LTE
+big screen
+good looking
+flash support- still recommend watching youtube videos on the youtube app, but good to see a webpage and not a bunch of nothing.
+removable battery
+expandable storage
+NFC & tectiles

Negatives
-OS is already dated (Jelly Bean time!) and will likely stay that way for at least another 1/2 year if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, by this time next year you will still be on Ice Cream Sandwich, still waiting for Jelly Bean with no official word yet from Google or Samsung, with newer phones coming out with Key Lime Pie.
-can be laggy at times, freeze, and restarting/pulling battery is a technique you will master

For me it's a toss up. I switch between wanting to buy the GS3 now and waiting until the iPhone 5 comes out. With the GS3's OS already dated, I'm gonna wait till the iPhone 5 comes out to 1) see what that's all about 2) see if the GS3 will get Jelly Bean and 3) if not, what other flagship phones with Jelly Bean are available. I like iOS 6, it's got some interesting features. If the iPhone 5 doesn't wow me and I know the GS3 will not get Jelly Bean that quickly, maybe I can hope for a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 with Jelly Bean....

Time to Man UP!! You know the GS3 is going to be better. You only go around once. Go order it now!!

Upvote 0
Pros of S3
+LTE
+big screen
+good looking
+removable battery
+expandable storage
+NFC & tectiles

Negatives

Here's the problem; each new iphone is always supposed to be fantastic but people usually seem disappointed with it. The S3 was supposed to be fantastic and everybody agrees it IS fantastic. Why wait for the iphone 5when you can have the S3 now?

Upvote 0
Negatives

I have every iphone since the 3GS. After i got the one x i thought wow, but i really just got that to tide me over until the SG3 came to town. After i got the SG3 i thought WOW, this is the next big thing and this is everything the ip5 should be, but will not be.

-My SG3 is not laggy at all, it's not yet locked up on me and i have had the AT&T version since 6/22, i've never had to pull a battery.
-Your music is easy to transfer, i had mine done in minutes after i got mine. Samsung has a new program that makes it really easy and it even comes with software to transfer the music from itunes.
As for itunes apps, yea, your SOL, unless you have a IPAD, then you can leave and still have all your apple apps
-Jelly Bean is going to be nice, but even w/o it the SG3 still rocks. IT's in no way enough of a upgrade to make ICS look really outdated. Yes, It will add some really cool stuff when it comes out. But from what i have read so far it's not a massive update, more like 4.1 instead of 5.0. But like everyone else i have only read about it. The SG3 will most likely get it, its new and Samsung want's to keep the SG3 selling like crack and they already bumped the SG3 to 2GB of ram to make sure it was good enough for JB ;)
-Apple is going to have a screen just under 4inches, and They will try and play it off by saying the have NFC, and Ios6. Ios 6 will add some cool features, but most if not all are already on the SG3 and if they are not they will be.
-and lastly, don't forget apple is making all your iphone accessories obsolete with the new iphone, it will have a new connector port on it

When i got rid of my I4S i was worried that android was to different, then a few days passed and now i can never see myself buying another iphone, it's just to limited, you should not have to jailbreak a phone to get things like live wall paper. Free your mind Neo, try it out, if you don't like it take it back and wait for the IP5.

Upvote 0
Negatives

Not really a negative as at there is a nice OS upgrade path while using the same phone. JB will come eventually to the GS3 (more than likely within 6 months) and for those who want it right away there will be roms aplenty at xda even sooner.

Either way your waiting, be it for the newest OS for this or waiting for Iphone 5 and its latest OS (which IMHO IOS has been extremely limited as far as what end user can without Jailbreak do and will probably remain so)

Might as well enjoy the ICS goodness with GS3 in the meantime.

Only time in the past I have had that happen is when im playing with beta roms.... then again Im a bit of a flashaholic. (aside from one replacement phone I got from assurion that constantly froze/os looped but that was replaced the next day) With the Gs3 Im betting smooth sailing... but have to wait for verizon. :banghead:

When I switched work phone to andrioid from 3g (and then again from 4s when company switched back) I didnt have a single app that I used that could not be found in some form or another on android.(already had personal android phones though so it wasnt a problem to find the apps) Games are mainly where android is still lagging behind, but more and more are ported/created as time passes.

That said you are correct about losing the IOS apps you paid for (sucks:mad:) but not the music.

Both points are moot if your considering Iphone5 as it can/will have the same problems of HW and SW issues/ not to mention the new connectors and size will render your accessories null and void. (the gs3 is across all carriers so we should see an abundance of accessories to go with it)

Upvote 0
Pros of S3
+LTE
+big screen
+good looking
+removable battery
+expandable storage
+NFC & tectiles

Negatives

Why in the world would anyone believe anything you posted on here? It sounds like you don't even have a clue about the iPhone, much less the S3.

Examples of your bad info:
You say drm-protected music on itunes. Dude, drm was dropped in Jan 2009 from iTunes! You're only 3.5 years off.
You also say the S3 can be laggy at times, freeze? Again, you obviously haven't used one. You shouldn't even be posting about a product you have zero experience with.
But the real gems you posted:
OS is outdated on the S3. Well, Apple is already talking about iOS 7, so I guess iOS 6 is already outdated?
And I'm not even sure what the hell this means - 'back is plastic, so it's more secure'? More secure than a unibody construction of the HOX or iPhone? You make zero sense here.

Upvote 0
Why in the world would anyone believe anything you posted on here? It sounds like you don't even have a clue about the iPhone, much less the S3.

Examples of your bad info:
You say drm-protected music on itunes. Dude, drm was dropped in Jan 2009 from iTunes! You're only 3.5 years off.

Except no, s/he's right. Google music manager will not upload any itunes DRM protected songs from BEFORE 2009. That's 839 songs for me. You have to pay apple AGAIN to get the non-drm copies.

I switched over from the 3GS. There is definitely a learning curve, but so far I am enjoying the phone. My major complaints thus far are:
-too much bloatware that seems to not be deletable
-voicemail still requires a phonecall? really?
-not as customizable out of the box as I thought (I was hoping to set different notification sounds for different contacts, not just different ringtones, and different notification lights for email, text, etc)
-no text message preview on lock screen
-AT&T crippled "find my mobile." Why?

I am sure all of these things are solveable with apps, or by rooting, but it seems like, for all Google puts into customization, they do leave a lot of stuff up to outside developers.

Upvote 0
Except no, s/he's right. Google music manager will not upload any itunes DRM protected songs from BEFORE 2009. That's 839 songs for me. You have to pay apple AGAIN to get the non-drm copies.

I switched over from the 3GS. There is definitely a learning curve, but so far I am enjoying the phone. My major complaints thus far are:
-not as customizable out of the box as I thought (I was hoping to set different notification sounds for different contacts, not just different ringtones, and different notification lights for email, text, etc)

I am sure all of these things are solveable with apps, or by rooting, but it seems like, for all Google puts into customization, they do leave a lot of stuff up to outside developers.

Whoa whoa whoa there's no visual voice mail!?!?

Upvote 0

Well see, that's the whole schtick with being customizable and more "open". Its open source(?) code so anybody can create anything and it pretty much leaves the potential of your device limited only by specification requirements. And yes, most of those problems have an app for that...but understand you don't have a google phone, but a samsung phone built on a google foundation. I'm certain alot of the things you want out the box would probably be accessible automatically on a Nexus device, I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
I have used the inc, droid x and t-mobile galaxy s2. I've been using the iPhone 4s for the last 4 months. I only got the iPhone to sell later for the next big android, which happens to be the galaxy S3.

I have nothing bad to say about the iPhone 4s. It worked flawlessly from day one. No lag whatsoever and not one force close. The camera is the best I've seen on any cell phone to date. But I didn't really care for the operating system and the phone is just too small.

If it had a larger screen 4.3 or bigger and came with Google maps, I'd seriously consider it over any android. That said, I already sold the iPhone for $400 and that basically paid for my galaxy s3. :)

Upvote 0
Well see, that's the whole schtick with being customizable and more "open". Its open source(?) code so anybody can create anything and it pretty much leaves the potential of your device limited only by specification requirements. And yes, most of those problems have an app for that...but understand you don't have a google phone, but a samsung phone built on a google foundation. I'm certain alot of the things you want out the box would probably be accessible automatically on a Nexus device, I could be wrong.

I get that feeling too, especially with the bloatware. But the GS3 is a superior phone spec-wise. I was salivating over the Nexus, except the storage is too small for me. I understand Samsung and AT&T have their own agenda, but they should at least let us opt out of it.

So now...how can I set different text message sounds for different people, and set different LED lights for different notifications?

Upvote 0
I am aware of this and I didn't say anything to the contrary. However, I doubt many people continue to keep drm protected songs in their little corner of itunes after 3.5 years. I would hazard to guess the vast majority have downloaded non-drm protected songs in all this time. You have to really be ingrained into the Apple ecosystem to maintain itunes like you have. And on this board, you won't find many people fitting that description.

Everything on you list can easily be done. here are some apps for you to look up. iphone notifications, lightflow, zedge, titanium pro, visual voicemail (Titanium Pro is the only one requiring a root, but it allows you to freeze all that bloatware and never see that crap again, until you want to.)

Upvote 0
I am aware of this and I didn't say anything to the contrary. However, I doubt many people continue to keep drm protected songs in their little corner of itunes after 3.5 years. I would hazard to guess the vast majority have downloaded non-drm protected songs in all this time. You have to really be ingrained into the Apple ecosystem to maintain itunes like you have. And on this board, you won't find many people fitting that description.

Everything on you list can easily be done. here are some apps for you to look up. iphone notifications, lightflow, zedge, titanium pro, visual voicemail (Titanium Pro is the only one requiring a root, but it allows you to freeze all that bloatware and never see that crap again, until you want to.)

Well, it's not like I delete songs just because they are old. Why would anyone do that? I have had an iPhone for 5 years, but even without the iPhone, those songs were bought when there was just the iPod! Apple wants like $75 to un-DRM them. I wasn't blaming google at all, that was definitely all apple.

And like I said, I'm sure there are ways to do the things that I want to do, but this is my first android, and I've had it for 3 days. Give me some time! :)

Thanks SO much for your app suggestions! Do they all work well together? Is there any visual voicemail app you'd recommend? I see AT&T has its own one...

Upvote 0
Unless there is a third-party app I don't know yet, no. I am stuck with ATT's call-in voicemail. Doesn't even say who the voicemail is from. Mild-moderate disappointment.

This must be a AT&T-specific thing. My Sprint GS3 has visual voicemail.

But there are visual voicemail 3rd party apps. Google even makes one, it's called Google Voice. Although it completely hijacks your voicemail system, so if you don't like it, it won't go away with a simple uninstall.

Also, there are a number of posts in this thread that are borderline disrespectful. Please be more considerate of your fellow posters.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones