• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any hope on the horizon for a perfect PDF reader?

JRSly

Oct 31, 2009
It kind of blows my mind that this many years into Android, that finding a simple fully-featured PDF viewer is such an impossibility. Hopefully with the tablet craze kicking in and more people wanting to read long documents on their tablet, developers will get with the program and deliver what people need in a good reader.

Going through all the options now that I've got a Nook Color to play around with, it's almost like it's a joke played on users, one app giving them a feature while denying them something else, another app supplying that missing feature but omitting something else vital. Some readers are quick and snappy, some have great anti-aliasing, some remember your progress, and only ONE(!!!) lets you place bookmarks...unless I'm mistaken, I'd love to happily look like a fool and be corrected and directed to another option.

-Adobe is snappy and renders PDFs very nicely, handy 'fit to' options. No bookmarking, no saving progress.

-Repligo remembers your progress(but what good is it if I want to come back and read the book a couple days later after a reboot?), nice interface. No bookmarking. I'd really love if they implemented adding bookmarks since I feel stupid for blowing $5 thinking I was getting that feature, when it turned out to be only the ability to access existing bookmarks in the PDF.

-ezPDF is fairly quick most of the time, slick interface. Very hard to find any documentation out there...maybe it allows you to place bookmarks, but I'm gonna guess no and it only allows you to browse existing bookmarks like Repligo does.

-Beamreader, clunky interface.

-Aldiko...you can add bookmarks!!!! But, of course there's a but, no 'fit to' options and jittery, clunky pinch-to-zoom. No anti-aliasing so text on scanned documents looks like garbage.

Some people might think I'm going overboard...yeah most of these programs have sliders to quickly go to a certain page. But we invented the concept of bookmarking for a reason. Yeah, if you only use apps to read 4 or 5 page PDFs, all of these programs are probably perfect. But a book with hundreds of pages? Coming back to it a week, two weeks later? We want to find our place at the click of a button, not scanning through page by page until our memory's jogged. Not having to remember or jot down the page number before shutting off the tablet/phone.

Like I said at the beginning, mostly it just amazes me that all the features are out there...just not, ya know, in one single program. Is there any word out there for a one-stop, ultimate PDF app?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones