• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any reptile/amphibian owners out there?

my parents drew the line when it came to snakes.
I've always thought they were interesting, used to catch/play with/release them as a kid. My parents would have had conniptions if I'd had one as a pet.
After my son got his gecko he wanted a snake - I said sure! That started the zoo here, a lone gecko to lots of critters!

Upvote 0
i used to have all sorts of reptiles.....from gecko's to iguana's to turtles. my parents drew the line when it came to snakes. but i got my fill of them when i used to work for a petstore in Newport Beach, where they had all sorts of reptiles.
My brother had a python! He had him for several years, but when he was getting married...well, his bride did NOT want a snake living in their house. So, reluctantly, he let him go, finding him a good home. That thing was HUGE by then.

My brother actually talked my daughter and me into petting the snake. :eek: I always thought of snakes as slimy and disgusting, but he was smooth and soft. I wouldn't make a habit of it, though. :D

Upvote 0
My brother had a python! He had him for several years, but when he was getting married...well, his bride did NOT want a snake living in their house. So, reluctantly, he let him go, finding him a good home. That thing was HUGE by then.

My brother actually talked my daughter and me into petting the snake. :eek: I always thought of snakes as slimy and disgusting, but he was smooth and soft. I wouldn't make a habit of it, though. :D
my favorite reptile was my iguana, Iggy. he was so cool and smart. i trained to poop in a cat liter box. i made this trap door out of his cage so that he could poop in the liter box. he pretty much had free range of my room. he used to love sun bathing on my window seal....until one day i find claw marks on the window screen as i forgot to close the window before i left to school.....and Iggy was gone. not sure if he clawed out or a cat got him., but he was gone for good sadly.:saddroid::saddroid::saddroid:

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
my favorite reptile was my iguana, Iggy. he was so cool and smart. i trained to poop in a cat liter box. i made this trap door out of his cage so that he could poop in the liter box. he pretty much had free range of my room. he used to love sun bathing on my window seal....
Ah, that sounds awesome! I'm continually happy to hear new things non-human animals can learn to do. :)

until one day i find claw marks on the window screen as i forgot to close the window before i left to school.....and Iggy was gone. not sure if he clawed out or a cat got him., but he was gone for good sadly.:saddroid::saddroid::saddroid:
Oh, shit...I'm sorry. :(

Just FYI, I'm absolutely OBSESSIVE about not having windows opened more than a few inches. Specifically, they cannot be opened enough to allow a cat to fit. Many years ago, two of my Great Danes had a little tiff in the living room, I came running to see what was happening, and at some point I noticed one of the front window screens was gone (the windows were fully open). And so was my favorite cat. Everyone in the neighborhood knew us and we were on very good terms with them, so the whole neighborhood, plus Animal Control, was on the lookout for him...but I never saw him again. :(

I've actually had to walk my helper through the logic so she'd grasp it. "You leave your window open and then go to the kitchen. Joy Noelle detaches herself from my body long enough to go to your room, and jumps up in the window. The screen falls off. Depending on whether the alarm is set, either the door chime will sound or the alarm will go off. If the door chime sounds, I--in my bedroom--will assume YOU have opened a door. YOU would most likely not even think about it. If the alarm went off, let's say you weren't home, I'd jump up and run to the panel to see which station set it off, and by the time I got to your room, guess what? Joy Noelle would be long gone!"

I think you're the first person I've ever met online who'd experienced the screen-falling-off thing, resulting in losing a pet, although I frequently see NextDoor and Ring alerts from people who've had it happen. I'm sorry that happened to you. I imagine it was devastating.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Ah, that sounds awesome! I'm continually happy to hear new things non-human animals can learn to do. :)

Oh, shit...I'm sorry. :(

Just FYI, I'm absolutely OBSESSIVE about not having windows opened more than a few inches. Specifically, they cannot be opened enough to allow a cat to fit. Many years ago, two of my Great Danes had a little tiff in the living room, I came running to see what was happening, and at some point I noticed one of the front window screens was gone (the windows were fully open). And so was my favorite cat. Everyone in the neighborhood knew us and we were on very good terms with them, so the whole neighborhood, plus Animal Control, was on the lookout for him...but I never saw him again. :(

I've actually had to walk my helper through the logic so she'd grasp it. "You leave your window open and then go to the kitchen. Joy Noelle detaches herself from my body long enough to go to your room, and jumps up in the window. The screen falls off. Depending on whether the alarm is set, either the door chime will sound or the alarm will go off. If the door chime sounds, I--in my bedroom--will assume YOU have opened a door. YOU would most likely not even think about it. If the alarm went off, let's say you weren't home, I'd jump up and run to the panel to see which station set it off, and by the time I got to your room, guess what? Joy Noelle would be long gone!"

I think you're the first person I've ever met online who'd experienced the screen-falling-off thing, resulting in losing a pet, although I frequently see NextDoor and Ring alerts from people who've had it happen. I'm sorry that happened to you. I imagine it was devastating.
well it was not really falling off, but it was ripped in what looked like claw marks. the screen was still on......so i'm guessing he either clawed out or a cat got him.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
I open the windows from the top instead of the bottom (I have full screens), dogs can't get though the glass to easily. They don't try but they are big dogs who like to look out and things can happen. I have a friend who had a Golden Retriever that actually went through a bay window. Twice. So I open upside down now to be sure-ish-er.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones