• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any way to force suggestion bar in all fields?

A bochur

Android Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2016
Anyone using gboard would know that the suggested words bar disappear while typing in certain fields, for example, when typing a link in any browser, Google now, some online forms ect. The suggestions field is simply not there! (But it does appear in messaging apps)

I find it very frustrating especially that i use glide typing and half of the time it doesn't catch the exact word. Google says that the reason it's not there is because it's not needed! I mean, does it cost them more if i use it?!

Searching for a solution online, I've found that people have been complaining about this since 2014!

I downloaded gboard beta and found that the suggestion bar now appears in browsers but still not in all fields.

Did anyone find a way around this? Maybe a way to block gboard from seeing what app I'm using?

There are specific features in gboard that are keeping me from going to other keyboard (like the option for backspacing by sweeping, auto translating words, sending search results from the keyboard ect.)
I did send feedback to them to change this.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones