• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gboard - how to disable the handwriting option!

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    Gboard has just introduced a new, infuriating "feature" that allows users with a stylus (like Samsung's S Pen) to use handwriting to input text... and Gboard will translate the handwriting and put it in the text field.

Problem is, I type faster than I write: I use the S Pen exhaustively because I can tap, swipe and scroll with surgical precision my fingers don't have. And Gboard has apparently made the handwriting input the DEFAULT if I'm using the S Pen. I now have to select the keyboard EVERY TIME I tap into the text field or Gboard will assume I want to handwrite.

How in the HECK do I disable this crap?! If I can't disable it, I'll find another keyboard app.

UPDATE:

Apparently there is NO WAY to disable it. If I'm using my S Pen to type, Gboard will assume that I really, really want to handwrite. Every time I tap the S Pen in any text field, that kills the keyboard and starts handwriting mode. The only way to get the keyboard back is to tap the field with my finger. Guess what happens if I use the S Pen to move the cursor? Handwriting mode again! Gboard has so slowed my text entry to a crawl with extra work that I left a blistering review; sent them equally blistering feedback; and uninstalled it. As much as I don't like Samsung Keyboard (and I refuse to use Microsoft SwiftKey), there aren't many options for a quality, feature-rich English keyboard.

Last edited:
    I actually stumbled upon Openboard, an open-source keyboard apk based on AOSP. While v1.4.4 is in the Play Store, Github repository has v1.4.5 - I sideloaded it; set it all up; and really am not missing anything. It's a lot like Gboard without the automatic handwriting assumption!

NOTE: this is a sideloaded apk which is not in an established app store like Google Play Store. Therefore, the user assumes all risks associated with installing unknown apps.

Upvote 0
    Apparently there is NO WAY to disable it. If I'm using my S Pen to type, Gboard will assume that I really, really want to handwrite. Every time I tap the S Pen in any text field, that kills the keyboard and starts handwriting mode. The only way to get the keyboard back is to tap the field with my finger. Guess what happens if I use the S Pen to move the cursor? Handwriting mode again! Gboard has so slowed my text entry to a crawl with extra work that I left a blistering review; sent them equally blistering feedback; and uninstalled it. As much as I don't like Samsung Keyboard (and I refuse to use Microsoft SwiftKey), there aren't many options for a quality, feature-rich English keyboard.

Should be able to disable handwriting input for Gboard latest version in settings.
    Screenshot_20240117_161246_Gboard.jpg

I've got Gboard handwriting unchecked on my Note20 Ultra. And it doesn't turn on when using the S-Pen,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones