• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody replace their laptop with the Atrix?

I have the Atrix and the refurbed lapdock.
It works really well for me, going in I understood the limitations.
I use Quickoffice for Office docs, and also the Lotus Notes Traveler app for my company email.
All in all it works very well. Occasionally the phone will hang (the mobile phone part) and browser on lapdock will still work and vice versa.
At times when I dock the phone the entire phone will reboot.

These are sporadic and in a two week run I only had one reboot and one hung mobile app.

The only accessory I have is the Lapdock. I have heard good comments about the desk dock and the media dock also.

I like the phone a lot but will probably get the new Nexus when it comes out and just use the Atrix with the lapdock as before.
If I get the Nexus I'll definitely want some hands on time before I make my decision.

Upvote 0
I had the opportunity to try out my new refurb lapdock on vacation this week. I must say, that I love it. (I don’t own any type of mobile computer.) When I first say the Atrix in Jan. with all the accessories, I wanted the lapdock. But it cost way to much. I was able to access all of my apps, mobile internet and documents from the mobile view. I use Firefox when on wifi only. (No need for the tethering plan and I can keep my unlimited plan.) It playes videos saved to SD card really good as well as watching Netflix. (There is a little choppiness when viewing full screen.) Easy to fix by resizing the window half screen. Viewing, creating and editing documents is really easy. Being able to multitask in both the mobile and webtop view is really convenient. The screen look really good, easy to type on and the mouse pad works well too. What I like most is how fast the phone is charged when docketed to it. The battery on the lapdock is really good and will last a long time. I was able to play all my games with no problem, as long as they didn’t require the accelerometer.

I keep forgetting that it is my phone that is the brains for this. (This is good though.) Only down sides I see are: Its no good without the Atrix 4G. Only can be used with the Atrix 4G. Not good for hardcore gaming. Other then that, I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Upvote 0
For that price, why not? I am looking foward to using it for wi-fi only. I guess if I wanted to get the tethering feature, it would have to replace my grandfathered unlimited data. Don't want to do that!

No you don't have to lose your unlimited data plan. (I have it too.) Just use it over wifi or use the mobile browser in the mobile view. They both work great.

Upvote 0
Ordered the $50 lapdock on Sunday. Order was immediately acknowleged, but as of today, a check of the order number shows that shipment is still pending, and, in checking with the card issuer, the charge is pre- authorized, but the charge is not completed.

My guess is they ran out of stock, and have not yet cancelled the order, but will probably do so shortly.

I think that those who took advantage of the offer on Sunday have already gotten their units if they are gong to get them.

Upvote 0
Ordered the $50 lapdock on Sunday. Order was immediately acknowleged, but as of today, a check of the order number shows that shipment is still pending, and, in checking with the card issuer, the charge is pre- authorized, but the charge is not completed.

My guess is they ran out of stock, and have not yet cancelled the order, but will probably do so shortly.

I think that those who took advantage of the offer on Sunday have already gotten their units if they are gong to get them.

I ordered one on Sunday too and mine says the same thing. I called at&t today to see what was going on and they said they were backordered but they should get a shipment in soon. The rep said they get shipments every Tuesday and Thursday and he assured me that I would still receive it.

Upvote 0
Ordered on December 4, and got this today, December 13:

Dear xxxxxxxxxx,
Thank you for choosing AT&T.
We regret to inform you that the accessory you've ordered is no longer available. As a result, we have canceled your order.
You may visit att.com/wireless to find another accessory that will fit your needs.
We apologize for the inconvenience and we look forward to serving you.
Thank you,
AT&T

Upvote 0

Dear xxxxxxxxxx,
We regret to inform you that the accessory you've ordered is no longer available. As a result, we have canceled your order.
You may visit att.com/wireless to find another accessory that will fit your needs.
Thank you,
AT&T

Man, I would be so disappointed and upset. Try Amazon.com. They still have some there.

Upvote 0
I got my lapdock about a year ago and have not touched my laptop since. This thing does more than enough for what I ever use a personal laptop for (I have a business laptop for my work). I mean really, it's the best of both worlds - a phone, that's a laptop!!!! I have the wireless keyboard and mouse for easier use and I can't think of anything that I miss from not having a laptop. I also recently bought the multimedia dock off eBay for $30!!! Awesome little device as well.

GO ATRIX!

Upvote 0

Dear xxxxxxxxxx,
Thank you,
AT&T

I got the same thing. I ended up ordering a refurbished one from all4cellular for $65 shipped. Should be here today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones