• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root anybody use root explorer?

Hello,
I'm all new to this rooting thing and have tried it just a few hours ago.
Rooting went well, Root explorer worked fine, and I moved some of apps to a backup folder. (which I created for the purpose and whose location was /backup_apps)

I thought everything was fine, yet a few hours later I found that this backup folder was suddenly gone. My phone works fine without those apps, and I can get a backup from a friend who is using the same model as mine, but I just don't feel comfortable with not knowing what i did wrong.

I can only guess that it might have been so because I put the backup folder not within the app folder but in the mother folder along with cache, config, data and other folders.

Has anybody experienced the same problem? or does anyone know what caused it? a piece of advice will be very much appreciated.

(sorry for my english, I'm not native to the language)

Upvote 0
Do i have to root the phone before using this root explorer? I have no idea how to root a phone and have read alot about it, and frankly most of it confuses and scares me, I don't want to screw up the phone and delete some stuff I didn't want to. I just want to remove a few sprint apps. Can I just buy this app and use it? Or do i have to be rooted?

Upvote 0
So by using Root Explorer, removing one of the original apps supplied with the phone is as simple as deleting the apk in the /system/app folder?

Except that I can't delete an app file because of R/W properties. So is this where rooting comes into play?

Correct on both counts. Root Explorer is really of limited use if you're not rooted. Once you can R/W, be careful what you delete. I suggest moving to the sd card instead. If you need to restore a .apk, all you need to do is copy it back and correct it's properties to match the other apk's in /system/app.

Upvote 0
I have rooted, have superuser privileges but having difficulties with Root explorer on my ally. I granted Rt Exp superuser privileges.
I am having difficulty manuevering around in root explorer. I go to r/w and can pull up files, some with names like amazon and facebook, the ones I want to uninstall.
Often it gives me an option to Delete, which leads me to believe it is a file and not an app. When I do find an Uninstall option, I do it and it says it is uninstalled, but it is still there. Sometimes it appears they actually do uninstall and disappear, but then the app comes back.
I need help using root explorer correctly obviously.
I was also wondering if GTalk is necessary as it seems to be running alot, sync service as well and alarm service. Skype used to be a problem but it has disappeared and I thinki it is the only successful uninstall I have done.
Anyone have any tips for using root explorer or a better way to delete stock apps? I deleted skype using terminal emulator but then also had issues with it not deleting amazon, facebook etc?

Upvote 0
I think I see instructions on how to use Root Exp. I need Mount RW! DUH. Thanks for the move to SD card instructions too!
I also wanted to ask if anyone has removed AccountandSyncSetting.apk, Aloha, ba_Client, google.android.marvin,soundback and talkback, gtalk, hidden menus, My Verizon, PICOtts, Talk.apk or talkprovider.apk, Telephony provider, Thinkdroid.apk?

I have a ton of stock apps and am on PPlus. It eats up my limited data the first day!
I also have over 10 calendars and clocks and digital alarm systems! and I mean like 15 calendars, 10 clocks and 5 digital alarms! I use only the basic calendar but have no idea which one it is in this list!

HELP! My droid is drowning in useless apps!

Upvote 0
i see the other forums have a thread or two on this but thought i'd ask fellow moment users if anyone is using root explorer to remove installed apps. i have used it with much success so far and even reinstalled one or two. just curious what you guys think is the best way to do things of this nature and what all can be done with this app without too much concern.
Can someone help me with root explorer? I just downloaded root explorer and I tried to delete some programs but I keep getting that the app is a read only file and I can't delete it. How do I use root explorer to delete the apps I don't want? What do I need to do to fix this issue?

Upvote 0
open root explorer then scroll down and click on system. then click on app. there are all the stock apps. long press on any of them and it will bring up a menu with multiple options one of which is move. after clicking on move just use the back button to get to the main root explorer list (in the upper right it shows where you are. you want to get back to / . then scroll down to sd card open it and the lower left option is paste. one thing. when you use this method it changes permissions. so if you want to reload any apps after moving them out this way. then after placing back into the apps folder, long click and choose "permissions" which will allow you to change the setup to match your other apps.

warning:if you remove vsuite (the nuance sytem) to the sd card, you will have to pull the battery, because it will go into a force close loop. but when you put your battery back in, it should be fine. then you can go into root explorer/sd card/ and long click any apps you want to permanently delete. if any.

i was also wondering how this would work to back up the data folder to sd, but i'm scared to try it.

When i click back, i dont have an option to open sd card???? it just gives me the long press options. it has a little golden star shield, and doesnt have a folder icon like the rest. it says sdcard-copy and the next says sdcard-ext-copy w the same icon. so when i hit paste, my app (test app was vcast_tones it just pastes to that same list. help?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones