• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody using any app for SMS Backup?

seymoria

Lurker
Jun 23, 2012
I plan to erase all data on the phone for a firmware upgrade.

Through Kies, we can sync contacts and media, but we cannot backup messages (sms).

I found and installed an app for this, 'Mobile Backup II' from Samsung app store. It backs up all sms on the internal SD card. But I dont know how much reliable it is.

Has anyone used it or any other similar app for the purpose? Please share your experience and advise.

Thanks and Regards.

I use SMS Backup+, which backs up messages (and call logs, if you want) to a folder in my GMail account. You can set it to do this automatically.

My experience is that it's very reliable, though restoring is not the quickest if you have a lot of messages. The automatic backup has saved me more than once.

Edit: I was poking about in the settings and while it does back MMS up it claims that it can't restore them. I've never noticed, as I send/receive about 1 MMS/year, so can't say either way.

If you prefer a local backup to your SD card, MyBackup can do this.

Reactions: seymoria
Upvote 0
Grateful for your help. I will install both the apps you mentioned.

You also mentioned that restoring is not the quickest. I can wait for many hours for it to restore. However, pls confirm that it is actually possible (for the sms). Have you also done it ever? Your first hand experience would make me more comfortable...

Kind regards.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones