• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone had issues with the Market failing to update to the Play Store after installing 2.3?

Xandros

Lurker
Oct 16, 2012
Hello. I'm just wondering if it was a common issue or if it only affected some people. I just loaded the 2.3 ROM from HTC dev onto my original Desire (SIM free version, so not branded) phone, since I'd been using the official 2.2.x update (whatever the last one HTC released OTA was) for all this time but decided to give 2.3 a go. I like it so far, absolutely love the fast boot and the option to restart the phone.

Thing is I've found the Android Market just doesn't seem to want to update itself to the Play Store. Previously when I've factory reset the phone when it was running 2.2, the same issue would occur, but short of just leaving it to update itself you could do a few things like, force quit the app and clear the data and so on.

The odd thing about this is now I'm on 2.3, I cannot clear the data for the app. I can force close it, and although it states there's data stored for it the Clear Data button stays greyed out.

I am also aware of various tricks to try and get it to update, like downloading one of Google's apps, like the Movie or Books App, doing a force stop/clear data run around and then opening one of those media apps and pressing the Play Store button in the corner of the screen; which is supposed to launch the market. I've found though all it does is instead launch the browser and take me to the store via the web.

After updating the phone to 2.3, when i first loaded the Market it asked me to agree to the Play Store terms and conditions. But of course it still has the old Market (2.3.4) version on the phone. Of course not being able to clear the data of the app might be the issue here, since that's how I've managed to get it to update in the past on 2.2.

Lastly I am fully aware that I can just download the APK from XDA developers, and update it myself, but I was first of all wondering if I could somehow get the it to update "the official way", I also wonder if I do manually update the app, will that fix the issue and will it auto-update itself in future or wilL i always have to download the APK myself and manually update it?

Many thanks for any help or info you can provide.

Which ROM are you using? Some have a system app called Market Updater in which case the market should update to the current version of google play. If they don't have it you will need to look fr the play app at XDA and install it from your sd card. After that it should update automatically.

If you have problems finding it I can probably find a .apk file for you.

Upvote 0
XDA is a bit of a mess. Trying to find an active link to a Gingerbread ROM can be a nightmare. Sometimes you have to trawl through hundreds of pages. That's why I have an archive of the ROMs I have used. Teppic's ROM is a point in case, I can't find any active links but I do have a copy which I have shared with members here on request.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it is. It also gets confusing when you read the ROM description then find a load of comments asking for features that the description says are already in it! And, of course, there's the restriction on posting to the developer forum if you haven't already posted 10 comments elsewhere!

For the teppic74 one I couldn't find an active link to the radio so didn't bother flashing it as it says you don't need to but, if you have a copy of it, or know an active link to it that would be useful (particularly if you know if there are any specific benefits over the one that would've come with my phone, which had FroYo pre-installed).

Thanks again for your help.
John

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones