• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

anyone not getting the "wow" factor?

I currently have an iphone 2G, and I had a tilt2 before that, so I'm not new to smartphones. I'm also kinda wondering how much 'wow' there will be. From the vids I'm expecting it to be way faster at responding that my long-in-the-tooth iphone, but that's more of an evolutionary change than a revolutionary change.

My wife, however, is coming from a razr (she occasionally uses my iphone to check her email).. So I'm expecting she'll notice more of the wow.

Upvote 0
No wow here. I like it but mine has a rattle in the speaker and it really does feel cheap. Dont get me wrong----its a nice piece of equipment but not too sure if ill be keeping it.
fail. it does not feel cheap at all. sorry you have a rattle in the speaker, but come on, it doesn't feel cheap in any way
Remember that how something looks or feels is very much a subjective thing.

If it has a cheap feel to Darbley, then it does - for him (or her?).

BTW though, Darbley, if you have a rattle in your speaker, you really should go get that looked at over at a VZW store. Obviously, that's a defect in the manufacturing of that one unit that was shipped to you. So far as I'm aware, no one else has reported any loose parts anywhere on the phones, and mine is as solid as a rock.

They sure don't want people having issues the first day or two, so if you take it over there, and you're sincere and patient with them, I'm sure they'll do whatever it takes to make sure the phone is performing how it should be. :)

Upvote 0
I have a Storm 1 that I use for work. It's pretty solid, heavy, and doesn't feel cheap. It's a piece of crap once you start trying to navigate around. The SurePress really is more of a handicap than anything else. It's good for enterprise email and little else. My personal phone that I have used for voice and texting the past 4 years was a Razr (the original). I had to picture message my photos off the phone because it's locked up tighter than fort knox (no SD, no USB xfer capabilities). T9 texting was a royal pain. It had gotten to the point where flipping the phone closed caused it to momentarily lose connection to the network. Dropping it resulted in a power cycle. The battery was good for 2 days standby and 20 min talk. Needless to say, the Incredible is 100% WOW to me. The one gripe I have is that they could have used a thin aluminum for the back cover instead of the flexible plastic, but I really don't care too much. It feels fine, and I have a case on it anyway which means the back matters little. Otherwise, the phone seems and feels solid, not cheap.

Upvote 0
I haven't had the pleasure of holding one yet, but I have a question on this "cheap" thing. For those who are saying it feels cheap, is that specifically a weight thing? I mean does it bend and make cracking noises like one of those plastic Easter eggs or does it just feel light and lacking heft?

Edit to add: I am actually looking forward to a lighter weight phone. Carrying my Storm 1 around is pretty annoying. When I put it in the lower pocket of cargo shorts for example, the thing bangs against my knee/leg and is very annoying. Whe in a coat pocket, it makes that side of my coat hand like I'm smuggling illegal aliens. Pretty annoying.

Upvote 0
Eris has that ability... I would think incredible would too. Don't have my Inc yet to check, but on the Eris, there is an option for Lockscreen Wallpaper in Settings>Personalize

Thanks, I had an Eris before the Incredible, and you are correct. The Incredible, unfortunately, only gives one the ability to change both the lock screen & wallpaper with a single image.

Upvote 0
I definitely got the wow factor from this phone. I have owned a g1, iPhone, and Eris and this is my favorite so far. I loved the Eris but wow this is so much faster.

The Incredible looks & feels like a big Eris. I loved my Eris, but the slow processor really tried my patience. I really miss the dedicated silver phone buttons on the Eris, as well as the power port being on the bottom of the phone.

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm not sure I understand this criticism. Seems to come mainly from Moto Droid owners. The Incredible is only ~20% lighter than the Droid.

My Razr, it's plastic, I could probably bend it in half if I really wanted to, but it doesn't feel flimsy at ALL to me. I mean, I've dropped it 12 feet onto concrete before and it just took off a little bit of the paint. I really don't see why people think that a metal device is going to somehow protect the internal components any better.

Now maybe the issue with the Dinc is that it has a little more empty space inside than a solid little nugget like the Razr. That wouldn't be a good thing, but I don't think that's the case.

Time will tell, I guess, as to how droppable it really is... but if the HTC testing videos are any indication there's nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0
The Incredible looks & feels like a big Eris. I loved my Eris, but the slow processor really tried my patience. I really miss the dedicated silver phone buttons on the Eris, as well as the power port being on the bottom of the phone.

Yeah it is going to take some time to get use to not having physical buttons, but I think I will manage.

The only thing I can complain about is that you can clear the defaults for Sense but it wont let you use stock android on this, even though you could on the Eris. Oh well, I like sense, just was seeing if I had the option.

I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!!

Upvote 0
I got my Incredible yesterday. It's my first "advanced" phone. Previously, I was using a pretty plain LG flip phone.

I like the device. So far, I've noticed that the learning curve is pretty steep. The 200-page downloadable manual available on the Verizon site is some help. but it leaves an awful lot unanswered. I used to write manuals for a major printer manufacturer, and I know what should be in a manual.

The simulated keyboard is going to take some time to get used to...I wonder if there is a mini USB keyboard that the OS and device might accept.

One thing I don't like...the screen washes out in the sunlight. The iPhones do this, too. Surely this is surmountable. I have a GPS unit on my boat that is readable in full, direct sunlight.

Upvote 0
Well being I have used a Milestone, and the Nexus One, obviously on the AT&T network, the Incredible really hasn't been a "WOW" for myself. The really nice thing, is being on a network that seems to be a little more stable.

The only questionable thing I have, is I live out in the middle of nowhere, and continue to have extremely weak cellular coverage, by both AT&T, and Verizon!

Will either network expand their service my way one day!

Matt

Upvote 0
I gotta say, it is WOW! but sadly I have to somewaht agree with how the tech bloggers and reviewers said that the phone feels a bit "plasticky". I guess coming from an Droid Eris, the Droid Eris felt more solid for some reason. The material used were a bit more with metals than plastics. Even my Chocolate Touch is more solid and heavier. But overall Love it!

Upvote 0
I came from an LG Dare (dear God the agony), and my first smartphone was the Moto Droid. I owned it from November 20th to January 20th... then took it back cause I wanted to wait for the new phones I knew were coming this spring.

It has been 3 painful months, ever since I took Droid back.... I am hooked on smartphones for life!

I was looking at the Droid and playing with it 50 to 100 times a day.

I am sure I will be wowed.... I was with the Droid... I liked it better than my girlfriends iPhone.

Upvote 0
How dare you.

this is an 81 honda!

im currently rocking the OG orange enV....my moto slider decided that opening the phone or answering a call were something it didnt feel like doing anymore so i've been dealing with this pos for the last year almost. will say this though...it's hit just about every hard surface i can think of and the damn thing still works

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones