• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone running Windows 8?

I tried the Start8 but I like ClassicShell too. Its closer to 'normal'.

ClassicShell.png

Upvote 0
I want Gnome for my desktop in windows :D that would be ok but if I could get Gnome Launcher for my phone and tablet that would be so sweetly great.

I think MS is just trying to insure perfect integration with their phones, tablets, and desktops. I think they want to get a universal look. Also the "Start" menu is very old and people have been changing it for years. The look is basically the iPhoneish look with a twist (different size "Boxes" etc) I would like to see better integration between the Lock screen and the Login Screen. I like the Lock screen just add the login boxes to it when i wish to log back in. get rid of the old Login Screen that is not very user friendly (easy to change backgrounds, and other elements)

Upvote 0
If anyone is using an Nvidia card (laptop or notebook) they have new WHQL drivers out for the Windows 8 preview release. They came out on June 27. I just saw it today.

I didn't have much time to check everything but it fixed a couple of problems I was having, such as right clicking on my desktop and having to wait 30 seconds for the popup to pop.

Upvote 0
Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99

We set out to make it as easy as possible for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8. Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
I wish they didn't differentiate between upgrades and clean install prices. If you ever have to wipe/replace your hard drive, you'll have to reinstall the older version of windows first. Which is a bit of a pain, but even more so for people with pre-built PCs that often don't come with the OS instalation discs.

Upvote 0
I'm running the windows 8 pre-release. I found the answer for that.

a previous version of Windows needs to be on your PC to upgrade. If you are on the Windows 8 Release Preview, you can upgrade via the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant but will only have the options to migrate your personal files or keep nothing at all when upgrading. You will need to make sure you have an underlying license for either Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 as well.

Upvote 0
Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99

We set out to make it as easy as possible for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8. Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the

Upvote 0
It is just too drastic a departure from classic Windows for most users; people don't like having to "relearn" an OS.

Except for the start menu and a few differences in navigation I don't notice a lot of change. I stay on the desktop and rarely use the metro page. I tried a couple different start menus but I'm back to stock start now.

Upvote 0
Still, pushing metro seems to have made a lot of people hesitant or even lose interest, in more tech-savvy circles, at least. It may be unfounded, but it certainly seems to be a common opinion.

I can understand that but after using it a while its just not a big deal to me. Of course, I haven't seen the final product either.

I just downloaded Civ V: Gods and Kings so I'll go see how it works with that.

:viking:

Upvote 0
Except for the start menu and a few differences in navigation I don't notice a lot of change. I stay on the desktop and rarely use the metro page. I tried a couple different start menus but I'm back to stock start now.

But the start menu is a huge difference, especially for people who aren't technically inclined. While it may be easier for someone who hasn't used a PC before and has used mobile devices, most people will be frustrated at not being able to do what they knew what to do in Win 7.

As one example, can someone tell me (without going to the executable in Windows Explorer) how you can start Notepad or WordPad from the Start Menu? My Win 8 RC does not have icons for either anywhere I can find (though I suppose I missed something).

In my case, I realized this because I wanted to jot some quick notes and couldn't find how to launch them from an icon. I ended up going to the "legacy" desktop, right clicking and selecting New>Text Document. But most users I know, since they can't see the icons, will just assume they aren't in Windows anymore and won't know how to start them.

Upvote 0
Change always comes at a price. I think Microsoft realizes that and that is one reason for the cheap upgrade. I do prefer a full install to an upgrade as clean installs are much better than upgrades.

Microsoft wants a universal look on their systems this isn't surprising. Actually this would be even more appealing to the technology challenged. Also the start menu on a phone is very hard to see. I mean put it on my EVO and no problem put it on my wifes Optimus S and yeah I couldn't see it. So going with a single look across the platforms is really a great way to market the newer versions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones