• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone switch from the Rezound?

the rezound has the higher pixel density screen and faster processors. every rezound i've played with is laggy as hell (despite the faster processor). no thanks.

The Rezound is using a Snapdragon S3 based (Cortex A-8), the Nexus TI processor is actually a Cortex A-9. As it stands now the CPU's are probably similar but once you get the clock of the Nexus back at 1.5 as it's rated it should be a stronger performer overall.

The Rezound does have an advantage when it comes to the GPU I believe. The Adreno 220 either slightly out-performs or matches the GPU in the Nexus.

Either way you slice it, they are both strong performers. I think you will see variance in battery life for a multitude of reasons. My first Rezound couldn't make it 6 hours but I didn't give up. I swapped it for a replacement and was able to get a day out of it(12-18 hours). Huge difference! After 6 hours off the charger my Nexus was at 67% with light use. I used it heavily in the afternoon on 4g and it wound down to 12% at the 12 hour mark, not to bad if you ask me.

Both are great phones as I said before. You can't go wrong with either one as long as you pick the phone that meets your wants and needs.

Upvote 0
After two weeks with the Rezound and 2 days with the GN, I am having a horrible time picking one over the other. There are several things that worry me about the Galaxy Nexus.
1. I love the brightness and true whites on the Rezound. Everything on the Nexus, from facebook to web browsing, to even the background has a yellowish tint. The whites on the Rezound are bright and crisp.
2. The camera on the Nexus is horrid. I've taken comparison shots in every situation and the Rezound wins every time. Same with video. While pics on the Nexus have more light at times, the clarity and sharpness in the Rezound pics stands out.
3. I have noticed what many other have while watching video on the Nexus, there is a blocky/blotching effect in the black areas. I believe this is due to the nature of Super Amoled displays. Not seen at all on the Rezound.
4. The speaker volume on the Nexus is quite low and considerably low compared to the Rezound.

But, with that said, I do like ICS a lot, I like the extra real estate with the 4.65 screen, the keyboard is second to none, and it will be first in line for all updates. I just keep going back and forth, back and forth....

Upvote 0
3. I have noticed what many other have while watching video on the Nexus, there is a blocky/blotching effect in the black areas. I believe this is due to the nature of Super Amoled displays. Not seen at all on the Rezound.

There is a workaround for the blockiness in the black parts of videos. See my post here:

http://androidforums.com/3669471-post14.html

Working well for me.

Reactions: finn5975
Upvote 0
There is a workaround for the blockiness in the black parts of videos. See my post here:

http://androidforums.com/3669471-post14.html

Working well for me.

Excellent!! Thank you for that tip. It works quite well!! Can I ask your opinion? Do you notice a yellowish tint to the screen? Its hard to explain, but seems like what are bright whites on the Rezound are more of an eggshell on the Nexus. Maybe I am just being overly picky, but it has been bugging me.

Upvote 0
Excellent!! Thank you for that tip. It works quite well!! Can I ask your opinion? Do you notice a yellowish tint to the screen? Its hard to explain, but seems like what are bright whites on the Rezound are more of an eggshell on the Nexus. Maybe I am just being overly picky, but it has been bugging me.

Yes I can see that. There is another post about this where if you rotate the keyboard and type in landscape mode, the left half of the screen's keys are yellow-green-ish and the right side is more white. Looks like a defect in the screen IMHO. It's subtle, but it's there.

Upvote 0

It's possible that the glue used to adhere the digitizer to the AMOLED panel may have not completely dried yet. The iPhone 4 had this issue when it came out.

It's also possible that the screen just isn't calibrated correctly.

Upvote 0
i had the rezound for almost exactly a month then traded it for the nexus there are 2 things about the rezound that bugged me enough to try the nexus...

1: When the capacitive buttons are lit on the bottom and im watching a movie in the dark the light from lighting the buttons would leak out the side of the screen... (im really not sure if it was just that phone beeing bad or not).

2: Pressing numbers in the phone were very laggy, I use my phone as a phone a lot for voice mails and so therefore im pressing the numbers in there fast and repetedly at times and they would lag everytime. (once again dont know if i had a bad phone or not).

All that beeing said the rezound felt better in my hand then the nexus does but ive ALWAYS wanted a pure google phone and the nexus is about a pure as we will EVER get on verizon. So far the nexus is ridiculously snappy and responsive... not so impressed with the battery life but i wasnt with the rezound either... Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Had my Rezound for a month before switching it out for the Nexus yesterday. Loved the phone, although as a first time HTC user then, I learned I'm not a huge Sense fan having come from a Droid 1, 2, and briefly a Bionic. Watching HD videos seemed to be a bit sharper on the Rezound, particularly live HD football on NFL Mobile. I also preferred the less slick hyperskin backing compared to the slick one on the Nexus. My Nexus tends to want to slide off of things when I put it down. Overall, I do love the Nexus, but do agree with others than the Rezound had a more solid build quality and was easier to hold in the hand. I have large hands, however, so navigating the Nexus isn't bad for me either. All that said, it's WAY easier to quickly type and access apps, screens, etc for me on the nexus than on the Rezound. Sense seemed like it was in my way at times. That being said, despite my happy ravings about the Nexus, I'm not yet certain I'm going to keep it. Two of my primary issues:

1) As many others have said, the rear speaker max volume is way too low. In a quiet environment it sounds fine (albeit a bit robotic/tinny at times). The 4.0.2 patch was supposed to increase volume a bit for Google Maps navigation, but I've not had a chance to test that yet. I refuse to go the route of installing an app like Volume+ to try to address something that shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

2) The LED notification is all but useless. This may be my biggest complaint and lead me to return the phone if not fixed soon. The blink rate is way too slow, for starters. I need to be able to tell at a glance if i have a text, vmail, or email. Staring at the phone for 8 seconds in hopes of seeing a soft white light doesn't cut it. Light Flow doesn't yet work completely, but the developer has announced he's working in it. Again, however this isn't something I should have to install an app to fix. This stuff just worked by default out of the box on my other devices. I'm hoping when I install Handcent SMS again tonight that it will be able to change the color of the lights and blink frequency, but I'm not holding my breath.

3) (More like "2a") There are no other LEDs on this phone whatsoever. Thus, when charging the phone while it's powered off, there's no way to tell your charge is complete unless you click the power button and examine the white battery icon. Inefficient. If the charging cable had an embedded LED that went off when charging were complete, even that would be a good workaround. The LED notification on the phone itself doesn't even pulse red or anything when your battery is dying. These may seem like niggles to some, but this is coming from someone who was going to skip the Galaxy SII completely had it come to Verizon for lacking a LED notification in the first place. The Nexus' light is leaning into that useless stage, but I have to give it a chance.

At this point, my ideal phone (assuming the screen had improved on it) would have been the HD version of the RAZR that China received. With ICS' native resolution being 720p, I won't purchase a phone without that res. I have til January 15th to return the Nexus if I'm not satisfied. I love the OS, but if at least the LED can't be set to blink quickly and correctly in the colors I need it to at the appropriate times, then I will likely end up going back to the Rezound. As it is, mine needed to be swapped out anyhow since I was getting the pink glowing softkeys the first releases had rather than the proper crimson color, but it's not as if that affected functionality. I don't trust htc will be able to make their eventual ICS upgrade as tidy as the stock experience, but I can always flash a vanilla ICS rom onto it whenever S-OFF and perm root is achieved. I'm holding off, as I did with the Rezound, buying any accessories until I'm sure this will be my final phone. There is supposed to be a 4.1 OTA coming at some point that the testers got a brief look at while we're all at 4.0.2. Perhaps that will address my concerns.

Bottom line: I don't want to have to return this phone, but all the glitz and glamor aside, it has to function for me as a phone first. I can live without an SD slot, and I'm sure USB-OTG support will come soon for plugging in external SD readers. But if I can't hear my phone ringing at max volume from another room (or from within a pocket since vibrate is too soft) and can't quickly tell if I've missed a call, then it's back to the Rezound unless something unexpected is released by mid-January.

I didnt read beyond your post, so it may have been said, but light flow works now. 100% It changed my feeling about this phone entirely. It can change colors, rates, etc. Phenomenal app. It can also illuminate the LED when charging is complete. I have my missed call blinking red and text blinking magenta. If you have both, it will blink 5 one then alternate to the other. My only complaint is I wish it would just alternate between colors when you have more than one notification.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones