• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone using Tasker?

I'm nat familiar with the Wiki entry, but it sounds like adding a Stop action the task will fix this. There's a bug that causes the labels not to display under certain circumstances.

A task can be either a menu task or an execute task, not both. If you need to set the volume as part of the profile, you have to make the menu task a separate task that you run using the Perform Task action from within the task that changes the volume, like this:

Media Volume 10
Perform Task <menu>

Hi I'm new to all this but finding Tasker extremely useful .

UncleMike, can you elaborate on this a little, I too had this issue, I got around it by having a separate profile with just the media volume setting in, but I'd prefer to have it all in the one profile.

I have a 'headset (no mic) plugged in state, followed by load app (as a menu) x 3 (as I load up 3 separate apps) but if I include the volume setting too, this also appears in the list, how would I exclude that item from appearing)

Upvote 0
I'm doing exactly this, but in a more-complicated-than-necessary way, since I setup my profiles before certain states within Tasker were available. Here's what I would do now.

Let's say you want calls from home and from work to ring using the ringer at maximum volume, regardless of the current settings. Let's also say that your home number is 8005551212 and your work number is 8665551234. Here's the profile you would setup:

Profile: Priority Caller
Context: Incoming Call [Caller Number: 8005551212/8665551234]
Enter Task Action: Silent Mode [Mode: Off]
Enter Task Action: Ringer Volume [Level: 7]
Enter Task Action: Vibrate on Ringer [Set: On]

When a call comes in from either number, Tasker will turn off silent mode, maximize the ringer volume, and make the phone vibrate when it rings. Once the phone stops ringing (i.e. you answer or miss the call), these settings are returned to their pre-call values.

Mine is a little more complicated (not just due to the capabilities of Tasker when I set it up). My profile gradually increases the ringer volume every few seconds, starting at 3, then 5, then 7. This gives me a chance to answer the call before the ringer gets too intrusive.

I know I'm resurrecting old posts, but I'm new both to Android and to Tasker so it's all relevant stuff.

I have the Priority Caller profile set up, but I'd like to be able to have the volume go up in steps, as in my work environment, having the phone blare out at max volume isn't such a great thing. I would like the settings still returned to their pre-call values though.

Oh and I only have one number set as priority, how would I go about adding extras? comma separated or something else?

Upvote 0
I'm using Tasker Version 1.1.1u2m on Gingerbread 2.3.4 (Motorola Defy+)

Having a strange problem with my set to max brightness (254) when on a phone call
It worked all right in test, when I didn't actually answer the phone, but as soon as I answer the call, once I end the call the brightness is something crazy like 8

I use 2 profiles:

#1 Phone Ringing

state = Phone Ringing

actions
Variable Set
Name %BRIGHTWAS To %BRIGHT
Variable Set
Name %PHONEWASRINGING To ON
Display Brightness
Level 254

#2 Phone Idle

state = phone idle

Display Brightness
Level %BRIGHTWAS
Variable Clear
Name %BRIGHTWAS
Variable Clear
Name %PHONEWASRINGING

Does anyone have any ideas why actually taking the call causes the display to go to some weird number (and not the level before the phone rang)

Upvote 0
I'm using Tasker Version 1.1.1u2m on Gingerbread 2.3.4 (Motorola Defy+)

Having a strange problem with my set to max brightness (254) when on a phone call
It worked all right in test, when I didn't actually answer the phone, but as soon as I answer the call, once I end the call the brightness is something crazy like 8

I use 2 profiles:

#1 Phone Ringing

state = Phone Ringing

actions
Variable Set
Name %BRIGHTWAS To %BRIGHT
Variable Set
Name %PHONEWASRINGING To ON
Display Brightness
Level 254

#2 Phone Idle

state = phone idle

Display Brightness
Level %BRIGHTWAS
Variable Clear
Name %BRIGHTWAS
Variable Clear
Name %PHONEWASRINGING

Does anyone have any ideas why actually taking the call causes the display to go to some weird number (and not the level before the phone rang)

might be caused by proximity sensor resetting the value if you've put your phone next to your face when you answer the call?

Upvote 0
Hi I'm new to all this but finding Tasker extremely useful .

UncleMike, can you elaborate on this a little, I too had this issue, I got around it by having a separate profile with just the media volume setting in, but I'd prefer to have it all in the one profile.

I have a 'headset (no mic) plugged in state, followed by load app (as a menu) x 3 (as I load up 3 separate apps) but if I include the volume setting too, this also appears in the list, how would I exclude that item from appearing)

If I understand you right, you want to set the volume to some value, then choose an app (1 of 3 choices) to load. As far as I know, there's no way to do that in a single task. I think the only way to do it is to include the volume changes in the main task and then execute the menu task with the Perform Task action.

Upvote 0
I know I'm resurrecting old posts, but I'm new both to Android and to Tasker so it's all relevant stuff.

I have the Priority Caller profile set up, but I'd like to be able to have the volume go up in steps, as in my work environment, having the phone blare out at max volume isn't such a great thing. I would like the settings still returned to their pre-call values though.

Oh and I only have one number set as priority, how would I go about adding extras? comma separated or something else?

If you use Incoming Call as the context, then the settings will return to their previous values after the call completes.

To include more than one number, just separate the numbers using a slash. The number matching works as described in the pattern matching section of the documentation.

Reactions: techguyone
Upvote 0
If I understand you right, you want to set the volume to some value, then choose an app (1 of 3 choices) to load. As far as I know, there's no way to do that in a single task. I think the only way to do it is to include the volume changes in the main task and then execute the menu task with the Perform Task action.

I'll try again, but I'm pretty sure when I did this I had the volume appear in the app menu too, hence the two profiles :/

Actually I may be able to do it if I do the Media volume as the 'perform task' part on the end of the 'load apps as menu' starting point.

Once I get the perform task bit up, I can see media volume shows as %VOLM, how would I go about finishing this peform task so that its set to 12?

Upvote 0
I'll try again, but I'm pretty sure when I did this I had the volume appear in the app menu too, hence the two profiles :/

Actually I may be able to do it if I do the Media volume as the 'perform task' part on the end of the 'load apps as menu' starting point.

Once I get the perform task bit up, I can see media volume shows as %VOLM, how would I go about finishing this peform task so that its set to 12?

Here's a profile that will do what I think you are looking for:

Profile: Headset Plugged In
Context: Headset Plugged
Enter Task: (this is an Execute Task)
Media Volume 10
Perform Task: Choose Music App

You'll also need to create the following named task, independent of a profile:

Task: Choose Music App (this is a Menu Task/you can use any apps)
Load App: Pandora
Load App: Music
Load App: Slacker

Reactions: techguyone
Upvote 0
I'll try that thanks.

Can you post your escalating volume priority callers profile please ? I have a fixed volume one, but it's a bit strident for the conference room meetings lol

--- Edit ---

The Headset profile was spot on! (once I figured out how to set a task independent of a profile) that's one less profile on the list now, thank you very much.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this situation has already been covered but I have tried searching for the answer and I can't find one. I use SlideIt keyboard along with the GO SMS widget in "list view". When I tap reply, a box comes up and then I have to tap the box AGAIN to get the SlideIt keyboard to appear. I actually set up Tasker to bring up the keyboard when I tap the "reply" icon and it worked for a day. The next day it didn't work anymore. I even tried making sure it was the only active profile I had setup and that didn't do any good either. Has anyone else setup a task for this issue or can somebody please help me tweak my profile to get it to work again?

Here is what I had setup:

Context: Go Message widget
Task: Soft Keyboard: If: %SMSRB = %SMSRB

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Does anybody know if its possible to put a tasker in the Status Bar, I can get the logo to appear, but what it to run when selected from the drop down?

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks
Binary

Yes, you can do this.
First make a task to put the icon & title in the status bar by using:
Alert > Notify > put in a title and choose an icon.

Second, make a Profile that watches for this to be selected:
New Profile > Alert > Notification Click > in the Title line use the title you chose in the first task *CASE SENSITIVE.

Upvote 0
yes, you can do this.
Alert > notify > put in a title and choose an icon.

Second, make a profile that watches for this to be selected:
New profile > alert > notification click > in the title line use the title you chose in the first task *case sensitive.

you my friend are a superstar! :)

Upvote 0
Yes, you can do this.

New Profile > Alert > Notification Click > in the Title line use the title you chose in the first task *CASE SENSITIVE.

Cant find the "Alert > Notification Click"??? Any ideas?

Thanks
Andy

Upvote 0
Yes, you can do this.

There's also an option in the settings to show the Tasker in the notification bar.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones