• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anything wrong with this?

KimchiBoi

May 5, 2010
I have the incredible, but am thinking about returning it for the Droid X. I am on a family plan, and one of my members has an upgrade. Can I sell the incredible on ebay, use the number eligible for an upgrade to get the Droid X, and switch that number with my number?

Yes, yes you can. Just make sure that the other member is willing to give up their upgrade.

We did something like this, but not really on purpose. My brother-in-law got back from Iraq, but had already used his upgrade shortly before leaving...for an LG Dare. He didn't like the Dare, so when he returned he stole my wife's upgrade for something different. He just swapped the phone numbers between the two devices.

When it came time for her to get a new phone, he paid the $9/mo to add a brand new line to our family plan (cheaper than buying the new phone outright), she purchased her Eris, then swapped the numbers back. Now we have a spare activated phone...for really no reason at all. It was just cheaper than paying full retail for the phone.

So yes, Verizon is fine with this sort of thing. They don't really care who uses what device, just that the contract for that person gets extended.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones